1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Cultural and historical vandalism

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Fastfreddy, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Gary C

Mr Gary C Well-Known Member

Just as an aside (sorry to go off topic), I note your status says 'the work of god' in which case you should know not to deliberately offend people. I also believe in God, but follow Him in His most recent form, which was the Avatar Meher Baba. He said (and in it refers to His previous incarnation of Jesus):

'If someone abuses us or insults us and becomes the cause of our suffering, or if we are harassed in any way, we should bow down to such a person instead of reacting angrily with him, because he is the means of wiping out our sanskaras. This is what Jesus meant when he said that if someone strikes you on the right cheek, offer him your left'

Hopefully this will strike a chord with you. Please don't lash out and reduce to name calling (maybe I am an idiot) but accept my point that we shouldn't be making derogatory remarks about other races, nations, religions etc and move on. Making such comments simply reduces us to the level of those such as ISIS.

Happy to let this thread go back on track and hope you accept the term used shouldn't be used again on the forum...it could only ever lead to worse things and reduce the forum itself to a resting place for bigots.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. jar ed

jar ed Member

Fast Freddy wanted me banned for calling him a Paddy now he says it's acceptable to call a Frenchman a "Frog" The inconsistency of thought is quite amazing in it's "fauxidity"

MarcPollitt84 likes this.
  4. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    When you create a thread on a public forum it isn't yours. As Gary has said, it becomes public property and the contributors to that thread can take it in any direction they like.

This thread may have started about Isis but that's not what it's about now. I feel that this thread really has run its course.

And "frog" is a racist term however you want to try and defend it. Next you'll be saying it's ok to use the word paki cos it's short for Pakistani

I love it how when someone uses an offensive word and another person disagrees with the use of that word, the perpetrator tries to turn it round on the offended party like it's there fault or tells them to "get a sense of humour" or other such bullshit

5. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Also, this

6. AgentW

AgentW Member

It can't end yet, Marc. I've only ticked three of my five predictions:

1. Absolute denial that the word used is in any way problematic.
    2. "If you have a problem with the word, then it's not the word that's the problem, it's you".
    3. Personal abuse.

Mr Gary C and MarcPollitt84 like this.
  7. AgentW

AgentW Member

This was funny, though.

Mr Gary C likes this.
  8. Mr Gary C

Yes it's been the highlight of the thread.

Wang!!!

9. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Ok then. Tell me when you've got a full house then I can sort it

10. AgentW

AgentW Member

Nah, kill it if you like mate. No big deal.

11. Mr Gary C

I think you've at least got a single line.

12. Mr Gary C

Was his use of the word 'wang' not one of your five predictions then?

13. AgentW

AgentW Member

Amazingly, no. I'm good, but I'm not that good.

The other two were:

1. Condescending reference to political correctness; and
    2. Flawed argument about free speech.

MarcPollitt84 likes this.
  14. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Ah yes, the old free speech argument we've seen so many times before

In the interests of said free speech please continue this thread along whatever topic any contributor wishes. But please refrain from using what is obviously offensive language based on someone's ethnicity, sexuality etc etc.

Frog, for example. I'm not a huge fan of the term "yank" either, for the record.

As I've said, I do feel This thread has run its course, started more to make a statement than have a discussion. But I'll leave it be for now but I'll have my eye on it.

Can't say I haven't been fair dudes!

Croggy likes this.
  15. jar ed

jar ed Member

The OP at the start of the thread expressed outrage at the destruction by ISIS of historical relics in the areas of the middle east they presently occupy. The OP asked what should be done about it.

I say nothing should be done. If my neighbor wants to bust up his garden gnomes with a sledgehammer and throw a large rock through his greenhouse windows that's not my business. Cultural and historical vandalism aside ISIS have to be destroyed but there's no real solution to that at the moment since no matter how many we kill more seem to join them. They are not short of funds, operate an effective recruiting campaign and are in possession of a large amount of captured military equipment of all types . Many top ISIS leaders were members of Saddam's elite combat units. I believe that eventually ISIS will be defeated but it's going to take a very concerted effort on behalf of the western powers in combination with the forces of the Arab world and Turkey. Not something that is going to happen tomorrow judging by the present mood of leaders of these nations.

Strangely enough it doesn't seem all that long ago that we supposedly civilized nations of the western world were busy bombing and destroying our own cultural and historical icons

16. AgentW

AgentW Member

I think that in those two small words, Gary has hit on something significant. I'm not sure what it is and I'm not sure I can articulate it yet, but I think it involves (but is not limited to) what different people understand when they read the same words, attitudes to change, and each individual's self-awareness. I might come back to this another time if I've managed to join it up in such a way that I can put it into words.

I'm off for an evening of endless Basinski (my current musical obsession). Have a good weekend, y'all.

17. Fastfreddy

Fastfreddy Well-Known Member

Sorry you are wrong. You are simply trolling. The thread is about the crisis in the middle east so keep on that please or as I keep repeating myself start your own threads about whatever you want to. I could suggest political correctness and piracy with a touch of racisism in modern society and the imperative for pretend offence. Those would be fantastic threads for the few of you to debate. So why don't you just do that instead of trolling here. Still waiting for a racist sanction from the mods. Or maybe you are being lined up for a ban for trying to disrupt and troll every single thread you take part in. A total disgrace. No idea what you are ranting about Marc just stay off the thread if you ha e nothing constructive to say. Frogs and yanks welcome I quite like these terms of endearment.

18. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    I doubt the French would describe "frog" as a term of endearment.

And what do you mean by. "Racist sanction from the mods"?

They way you think you own the threads you start really is quite hilarious. And no amount of being told otherwise by numerous different people is going to make you see otherwise is it.

I haven't seen any trolling in this thread. Yet another phrase you seem unable to understand.

I doubt I'll be contributing to this bullshit thread anymore but I will be keeping an eye on it

19. JBR*

JBR* Member

Well, all I can say is that some people are more easily offended than others.

Do you complainers think that 'Rosbif' is a similarly derogatory term used by the F**** about the English? (Mental note: musn't use the 'F' word on this forum.)
    And have you seen my signature? Yes, it's there just below this message. I suppose you believe I'm being offensive to the Lankies (oops, I mean Lancastrians). Fear not, I have many Lanky (oops, there I go again) friends here who, fortunately, are blessed with a sense of humour - unlike some others. No-one has objected about it so far, anyway. Perhaps they haven't noticed it.
    Surprisingly, I too have a sense of humour. I am not in the least offended by anyone describing me as a Yorkie, broad in the back and thick in the head. Of course, we Yorkies are fully aware of our superiority to other, lesser people and we are quite happy to make allowances.

Incidentally, it is my experience that the most easily offended people are often those who are 'offended by proxy' on behalf of others who really couldn't care less.

:confused:

20. Mr Gary C

I think Agent has already predicted how Freddy would respond. I think we can safely say that JBR has responded in exactly the same way.

Mexico75 likes this.
  21. Mexico75

Mexico75 Active Member

Says the man who cried to admin for multiple bans over the use of the word Paddy. As I've said before the man is a walking contradiction, the forum would be a better place without him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.