1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Computer Co-operative relaunch (Burley)

Discussion in 'Leeds Classified Ads' started by KabaPC, Nov 30, 2013.

1. KabaPC

KabaPC New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm Al from Kaba PC, a worker co-operative who provide IT repairs and sales (among other things), based at 66 Burley Lodge Road LS6 1QF. We've been around since 2010 but relaunched in October with full-time staff, having relied mainly on volunteers previously.

We:

FIX computers with honesty and at affordable prices
    ACCEPT donations of old/unwanted IT equipment which are then reused/refurbished.
    SELL refurbished PCs, Laptops and accessories at knock-down prices
    OFFER volunteering opportunities and a free internet cafe
    &
    PROMOTE Co-operative values, education, community cohesion and open source software.

If any of that sounds good to you please drop by or have a look at our website. You can also call us on 0113 350 2007 but we're having phone line problems at the moment to email might be better (admin@kaba-pc.org.uk).

And if you have any questions, feel free to ask on here! I'm off to have a look around the rest of the forum.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Kaba_PC
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/KabaPC

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the business.

4. Neil

Neil New Member

I have a laptop which is not working properly. Quite slow, was told that a power surge may have damaged it. I was told it has no value. Is it worth repairing? Further I have a CD writer brand new, never used. Has it got any value ? Would anyone buy it?
    Neil

5. Greybeard

Greybeard New Member

Neil, as a retired IT Systems Analyst for a major multinational, we generally found that a power surge would in fact completely stop a machine from operating, if a machine was/is running slowly it is generally speaking a software issue and the machine probably needs a complete re-install of the operating system depending upon how long it has been on there and how clogged up with garbage it is.

I would need to know the make, model and age of the laptop and the operating system, ie windows version it has on it to really assess it, but second hand machines are not worth very much in resale.

The CD writer, well you can pick up a pretty good external DVD writer for about £25 which also writes CD's so again no resale value.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. KabaPC

KabaPC New Member

As Greybeard said, it's most likely a software problem, nothing to do with a power surge. But unless it's REALLY old it's probably worth something. You can email us at kaba.recycling@gmail.com if you want to give us more details about it (model number, age would help)

We can't promise to look at it this week however as we're moving (and rebranding!) Details here.

7. Neil

Neil New Member

Thank You Greybeard and KabaPC The laptop is not with me now I shall get back to you with details.
    Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated
    Neil

8. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

I have a dead PSU. It is supposed to be a good one, so it ought not be dead: can these things be repaired?

9. Greybeard

Greybeard New Member

Hi Hairyloon, again one would need to know the make and age to give a really definitive answer to your question. As a general rule to get a PC back up and working one would normally just swap out a faulty PSU as they are relatively cheap and rarely cost effective in time taken to repair especially in comparison to getting the PC back up and running which a swap out would only take a maximum of 20 minutes to perform.

Yes they can be repaired depending upon what is wrong with them, but the time involved in troubleshooting and replacing components and the time spent sourcing those components is rarely worth the effort. If you have a well equipped electronics workshop or lots of free time that may not be so much of a problem.

10. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

It's a Corsair CX750M. If you've any top-tips on troubleshooting, I'd like to give it a go...