1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Cockpit closing for the summer

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by Cowl2, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Daimo

Daimo Member

This definitely!

Played to an absolutely rammed room 2 about 3 years ago. Sound was brilliant and was one of the better gigs I've played. Not sure but I have a feeling you were on sound for us that night Tom.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yeah, totally. I couldn't even bring myself to go to the Godflesh/Loop double header due to many, many previous disappointments.

4. Les oeufs du chien

Les oeufs du chien New Member

No HS2 conspiracies (it's nowhere near it), the owner probably just realised it'd be less hassle and more lucrative to turn it into a car park.

I think the only positive it had was that it was probably very easy for out-of-towners to get to gigs there on the train, something that is a bit of a downside for places like the Brudenell.

5. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

That's just big gig vs small gig stuff, though, isn't it? Nothing to do with the venue. The Cockpit was absolutely wank soundwise for anything quiet, though, I'll agree with you there. Can't imagine Low or Arab Strap was very fun.

6. pomfob

pomfob Member

Favourite Bands:
    the fall
    Er, Belgrave? The Poly, sorry Met, SORRY Becketts might have a few more gigs now. Plus promoters could try being creative with spaces (haven't had any gigs in the Parish Church or Holy Trinity in a while, for example).

7. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yeah, but the Holy Trinity wouldn't be right for the stuff the Cockpit mainly hosted.

8. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Ah, yeah. Forgot about the Belgrave, somehow.

Does anyone think theres a chance any sort of new venue might open, in an attempt to fill the void by the three aforementioned venues closing within the past 18 months? Is there any money in it any more (was there ever)?

9. Les oeufs du chien

Les oeufs du chien New Member

We need to keep the Emo kids out of the rest of the city. Maybe there is a space south of the river that risible old punk pop bands and half-arsed sixth-form landfill indie bands can have their gigs? It at least served to keep these people away from the Brudenell.

10. pomfob

pomfob Member

Favourite Bands:
    the fall
    Harsh. But fair.

11. Seany

Seany Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    !!!, Can, Mars Volta
    One thing that is so great to see for me personally is that it divides opinion still!

To those that know me personally (or even don't), most will have seen me at some point at the Pit, either helping out, ranging from; playing (SYEAYBIF), DJ'ing, flyering, doorwork, partying, merch, sort of cleaning up etc. The place meant a lot to me i guess.

As people have mentioned on Facebook, and elsewhere on the net, The Cockpit wasn't always the best club in the world, in fact most of the time it could be horrendous, especially with the acoustics in the main room!

Yet, as again someone mentioned around the turn of the millennium it was the perfect place to be alongside the NME's 'New Rock Revolution'. A garage with a PA, for 'garage guitar bands' to play!

Whilst it is easy to look back and knock The Pit for some of it's failings, in a pre-broadband era it certainly was a handy place to have especially after The Duchess getting turned into Hugo Boss etc. As other people have mentioned, getting a gig at The Well with your band meant you were doing well, if you got a gig at The Pit, you'd almost made it (or so it felt!)

Perhaps The Cockpit did so well due to the lack of competition in that era for that type of show for that capacity of people?

All i know now is that people are spoilt for choice in how they want to watch 'live music'.
    Hell, with the age of broadband etc club nights and gigs and venues can easily be people's living rooms, or storage spaces. Much like the fact that anyone with a laptop and some software can be a record producer (AND, more importantly get quite an amount of success) from doing things in this way, where it was certainly a lot more difficult say ''99-''00.

The reason for it's demise in my opinion is that they never adapted to the market. Carling got changed to Fosters etc, and that remained from probably ''07 - ''13 as far as i know, with just the price going up.

Club night like Brighton Beach were fantastic back in the day especially during and just after Britpop, but i seriously doubt many of the new students coming through in recent years really cared so much about; Pulp, Sleeper, Kula Shaker etc, as they were from a different time.

The new kids coming through also knew that they wanted something better and also could get that, at swanky new, nice cleaner clubs such as Hi Fi, The Faversham, and Wire. The price of the night out doesn't actually matter too much these days only in the fact if you want to be as expensive as the competition, you need to be as smart (looking) as the competition. When I was 18/19, we just wanted a cheap night out. It never mattered that our feet were stuck to the floors or we had cigarette burns down our arms cos the place was a hole, i guess.

I was also lucky that around this time the Leeds scene was bursting at the brim with a joined up music scene, Dance To The Radio acts were flying and able to get supports on the tours down there, and even just going to watch 3 local acts could give you a good night out as watching anyone from elsewhere in the world.

Love it or hate it, but the Futuresound competition gave a lot of bands the chance to play at the next level up, not only in terms of an almost guaranteed sold out show at the cockpit, but also at Leeds Festival and later Reading also. With many bands going onto extremely great things even if they didn't win the comp!

Sam Saunders put it correctly though when he said it's not all bad when a band breaks up though as hopefully those members splinter off and produce more good music elsewhere down the line, and hopefully the same could be said about those who worked so hard behind the scenes to run any of the events and nights down there.

I personally don't think there will be too much of a hole left either, as more and more people are able and have access to being able to put on their own nights and events than ever before, you only have to look at the promoters down at the Brude, Belgrave, Fox and Newt etc to see that that is already happening, but what is more apparent is that the music landscape is still shifting even more into people making their own music scenes and running them how they want; see Chunk, and as long as each continues being open and welcome to the other scenes in Leeds, the Leeds music scene will continue to thrive regardless of wether one venue disappears.

--------------

Seen some right good shows down there including Stellastarr*, Bloc Party, Les Savy Fav, The Mars Volta, !!!, Les Flames, Forward Russia, 80's Matchbox B Line Disaster, Karnivool,Clutch, The Cribs off the top of my head.

my favorite though, or the one i remember the most was when i was 15/16 years old and saw Les Flames in those silver jumpsuits, so so good! Might have been supporting, really can't remember.

--------------------

It was fun whilst it lasted but perhaps that was to about ''07. Thanks to all who did sound, served me drinks, looked after me security wise, those who i made friends with down there, Dj'd/ performed for, and those whom i might have forgot. Hope i wasn't too fucked up most of the time!

12. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

Can't believe you didn't mention that time I ripped the cigarette from your mouth in disgust.

13. katyR

katyR Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Asa Hawks ;p
    Eh? There are LOADS of small and medium sized venues. Belgrave, Sela, Wardrobe, Library, Shopkeepers, Brud (big room and small room), Wharf Chambers, Duck & Drake... Plus Irish Centre, Met / Uni... Plus tons of smaller pub ones that do local gigs. I don't think we're in danger of running out.

14. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

Apart from the Brude, though, none of those venues are circa 500 capacity like Cockpit room 1, are they?

15. cavie

cavie Member

The Cockpit was a hard place to love but I'll still miss it.

The third gig I ever played was in the main room in 1999 before I'd even been to a gig there. Seems like a lifetime ago.

I'll always associate Flatnose John with the place, whether it was him playing the fruity with a pint of cider in his hand, talking bollocks with a pint of cider in his hand, showing off his martial arts skills with a pint of cider in his hand or a combination of the three.

Used to love going to Brighton Beach there in the late 90s but I guess 'the kids' don't go out as much these days and when I last went to the Garage it was nowhere near as busy as it was when I was a regular.

I won't miss the trains rumbling overhead during quiet songs (something which seemed to shit up Mark Linkous no end when I saw Sparklehorse there) but the Darkstar, Regina Spektor, BJM, Cornershop, TSOOL, Mew and Sleater Kinney gigs I saw there are up there with some of my favourite ever shows.

On the plus side, I never thought the Duchess would be replaced but the Brude does the small venue thing much better (I'd like to see more effort made to put on local band nights though). I'm sure it won't be long before we have a new medium sized venue to fall in love with/bitch about.

16. GreenThunder

GreenThunder Member

Favourite Bands:
    Black Lace
    To meander off topic slightly, does anyone know how big the The Key Club will be? It's picked up a lot of the Cockpit bookings.

http://thekeyclubleeds.com/

17. cavie

cavie Member

It's in the Merrion Centre - the old Bassment/Subculture venue

18. blackfoxnorth

blackfoxnorth Member

What is the capacity of the wardrobe? It does not have the equivalent of cockpit room 2 to act as a spill out room but it has to be pushing 500 capacity? The room size seems bigger than the cockpit main room?

I was looking into taking over subculture before the Merion Centre referb but the package they were offering was really balls. I think the previous lady had just sold her house and lost everything. They still wanted a crazy rent... Good luck to the new team in place. I hope that the shocking toilet facilities have been improved.... I am not even sure where the entrance is now?

19. Seany

Seany Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    !!!, Can, Mars Volta