1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Cockpit closing for the summer

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by Cowl2, Jul 15, 2014.

1. nath

nath New Member

well they're still confirming lots of gigs still... another one announced today.

I think its almost definite it'll reopen.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. pomfob

pomfob Member

Favourite Bands:
    the fall
    I was talking to someone yesterday, and they seemed pretty sure the Cockpit is shutting for good; Railtrack want the space back in preparation for HS2. Not seen anything to confirm or deny that though.

4. davelms

davelms Member

Favourite Bands:
    Not Telling
    As Nath said earlier, since the original announcement they've gone on to book a number of extra gigs at the Cockpit for late 2014. There are currently 53 events booked into the Cockpit after the summer closure, a number of which are new announcements.

5. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I just heard the Railtrack/HS2 rumour too.

6. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
  7. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
  8. O Captain

O Captain New Member

Favourite Bands:
    death cab for cutie
    Is this down to the HS2 business then?? Bit rubbish, really.

9. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

It's possibly just as much to with the fact that the building has essentially been rotting for the past few years. Major damp problems.

10. Suebeedoo

Suebeedoo Member

Favourite Bands:
    Die Video Die
    Totally crap.

11. blackfoxnorth

blackfoxnorth Member

It is sad news that an established venue with so much history is closing its doors.

12. Daimo

Daimo Member

I can remember the days when I first started playing of thinking you were doing quite well if you got to play at the Well, and that you were doing really well if you got to play at the Cockpit.

Neither of them with us anymore. Massive shame

13. pomfob

pomfob Member

Favourite Bands:
    the fall
    I'm sorry if anyone's lost their job because of this, but I'm really not sorry at all there won't be any more Cockpit gigs. The 2 downstairs rooms were terrible venues. I've seen too many really good bands under perform in there. It had reached the point where I'd go to Sheffield or Manchester rather than watch bands in there.

The upstairs room could be fun. I'll miss that. A bit.

14. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

Room 3 upstairs was by far the worst bit! Painful as hell.

It was a pretty crap place to watch gigs as an adult but I maintain that it was a great, sweaty experience for kids, especially the main room.

Contrary to popular belief it could actually sound OK in there as well, especially Room 2 when full. The main room changed completely depending on where you were stood.

15. bentley

bentley New Member

Amazing memories, terrible memories.

Where 18-23 year old me was formed (for better or worse.)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGWxJDFd_cw[/youtube]

Any other videos filmed there?

16. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    Well, look on the bright side, at least there's going to be a new place where you can go to get your dubstep remixes of britney spears songs on a Saturday night.

17. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Wheres this Key Club some of the gigs have been moved to? Where Basement used to be down the side of the Merrion?

With The Well, Empire and now the Cockpit gone where is there in town for smallish - medium sized gigs?

18. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    Santiagos. The Fenton. Fox & Newt... really clutching at straws now, those are all pretty damn small.

Pah. It is sad news. Still prefered The Well to the cockpit any day of the week.

19. Rock and Roll Circus

Rock and Roll Circus Member

Favourite Bands:
    Beatles
    Same, I remember when i was 15ish and my mates band played The Cockpit, it felt like they'd 'made it'.

Was never really a fan of the venue though, I thought it was cool when i was a teenager, but after the 'cool' factor left for me, all that was really left was a dive that sold fosters and left me with ringing ears.

It's very sad though, let's hope this can create a vacuum that'll be filled by a new 'cool' small/medium venue.

20. pomfob

pomfob Member

Favourite Bands:
    the fall
    Horses for courses then..Upstairs - standing eyeball to eyeball with Savages, being knocked down by the one-man moshpit at Flats, YouthMovies extended jazz noise freakout, The Chapman Family being just incredible...

OVER

Downstairs - Low, The Fall, Super Furry Animals, Arab Strap, We Were Promised Jetpacks, Wild Flags struggling and most especially Sparklehorse simply dying on their arses. Unless it was the same sound engineer for every one of them, and a few others I could mention if I thought about it.

21. Les oeufs du chien

Les oeufs du chien New Member

Glad that I'll no longer get that thing where I see a flyer/poster for a band I like and get a brief moment of excitement before realising 'oh, shit, it's at the Pit of Cock, never mind'.

Kyuss were good there, mind, but that was because it was Kyuss.

Batshit right-wing conspiracy theory fuckwits in the Evening Post comments bit reckon that it was the evil Labour Council putting more and more onerous constraints on them, forcing them to close so that they don't provide competition for the new state-run Arena. Clearly the truth, I guess the Futuresound Clapton gig will be moving there...