1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Cockpit closing for the summer

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by Cowl2, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. cavie

cavie Member

BRUD, BRUD, BRUD!!!*

*not going to happen :(

It did happen! :D :D :D

4. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Is the Adelphi currently shut for refurb too? How long for?

I hope they dont make it all flash and twatty. I thought it was perfect just the way it was

5. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

That's two summers in a row now. Maybe if Futuresound ever actually put their hands in their pocket and did things properly this wouldn't be an ongoing problem.

6. dodell

dodell New Member

What's the "essential maintenance work" that it needs?

7. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    The Grove Cafe and Arcadia are also closed for refurbishment.

Coincidence? Or something more sinister?

8. pomfob

pomfob Member

Favourite Bands:
    the fall
    Filling with concrete. Sorry, not a fan...

9. dodell

dodell New Member

They all receive a lot of custom from currently absent students...

10. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

It could be any number of things but I suspect it's something to do with either the floor (they replaced it last summer) or the walls, which have had leaks.

11. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Yeah i did sort of think that myself but, as has been said, theres hardly any students around at this time so the financial loss wont be as great as closing at any other time. Im sure theyll all be ready for mid September

12. GreenThunder

GreenThunder Member

Favourite Bands:
    Black Lace
  13. dodell

dodell New Member

Hadn't heard half those gigs were even happening, they should close more often, it'd help the promotion.

14. Les oeufs du chien

Les oeufs du chien New Member

Slint at the Irish Centre would be nice, I'm due pretty major surgery any time now and watching at the Cockpit wouldn't be feasible, somewhere with seating and a proper view could tempt me.

15. blackfoxnorth

blackfoxnorth Member

If they are taking down the arch coverings then any budding photographers should get in there. The exposed arches look really cool.

16. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Slint moved to the Brude then.

Good times.

17. Ayala

Ayala Member

Favourite Bands:
    punk
    Think Arcadia is open again. They're doing a refurb on all those Market Town Tavern boozers, (the one in Guiseley was done a while back and I think that was the first), so they'll be getting round to the others in Leeds at some point, albeit East of Arcadia and Veritas might not be for ages.

18. Seany

Seany Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    !!!, Can, Mars Volta
    Is it just the summer? a lot of stuff on social media from people implying it maybe longer?!

19. nath

nath New Member

sean... just for summer.... look at the winter gig line-up.. its extensive.

People will always make more and read more into things. Silly tell-tale people

20. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    I don't want to go spreading rumours or anything but I know the doormen have been told they'll be no longer needed as have the bar staff, not just for the summer. My pal who works on the door got quite frustrated when I said it'll be fine. "YOU'RE HEARING IT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH MATE"

21. blackfoxnorth

blackfoxnorth Member

Most of the bar staff were seasonal apart from a few legends. I think we'd all know if the management team had been let go. As for security, from my understanding they were agency/freelance with only a few employed directly.

Sorry to squish squash your rumor. ps. Rumours was an amazing album: Now streaming in full on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvVznAb9-Ss