1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Circle (Finnish band)

Discussion in 'Music Chat' started by runaways, Jan 12, 2015.

1. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    I know there's a couple of posters on here that are into these so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Anyone know anything about their scheduled tour this May? and is anyone heading to Raw Power festival in London? I can't find any other dates or anything on the internet other than a vague post from them on facebook.

I would love to see these and Pharaoh Overlord, wasn't really aware of them the last time they came around!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Golden Cabinet

Golden Cabinet Member

Favourite Bands:
    Circle
    I can't find any specific dates either.
    We put both PO and Circle on separately back in 2007 - outstanding.

4. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    I would love to see them play up north! I can't get the time off work to go to London (or can i be bothered to make the journey to be fair..)

5. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    I am going to bump this, just in case anyone passing through knows anything........please...........

6. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Were those the 1 in 12 shows? They were both amazing. PO played a double length show, didn't they?

7. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Were those the 1 in 12 shows? They were both amazing. PO played a double length show, didn't they?

8. Golden Cabinet

Golden Cabinet Member

Favourite Bands:
    Circle
    Yes, both at the 1 in 12 Club.
    PO may well have played a double set tho my memory is a tad hazy.

9. pyreclimber

pyreclimber New Member

Favourite Bands:
    ttng the books corru
    Great band!

10. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
  11. nath

nath New Member

not sure 100%, but i heard they might be playing Bradford... maybe Thread Fest?
    Not sure as i say, i just recall hearing something.

12. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    that would be rather exciting if true!!

13. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    oh wow, it's around that weekend that they're over here too.

14. andyabbott

andyabbott New Member

15. jimmy_from_armley

jimmy_from_armley New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Naked Raygun
    Oh my! The rumours are true

16. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

17. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Post on Circle's facebook page today: both they and Pharaoh Overlord have new albums due. Circle's album is called "Pharaoh Overlord", Pharaoh Overlord's is called "Circle". They Circle record has horns on it and the Pharaoh record is quite synth-oriented, if the tracks they've posted up on Soundcloud are anything to go by.

18. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Hey runaways - did you catch Circle and/or Pharaoh at Threadfest or Raw Power then? If so what did you think? I though Circle were pretty damn marvellous on Friday in Bradford. One of the best performances I've seen from them. Really entertaining, and a really good selection of tracks. I think my favourite would have to be the first one Janne (guitarist in ladies' underwear) sang. It was familiar but I couldn't quite remember if I knew it from one of their records or not. Could have been a cover perhaps? There were definitely a couple of older numbers towards the back end of the set, including a really old one that might have been off "Meronia" or something. Maybe tarandfeathers or Golden Cabinet could help us out with the tracklisting?

I managed to see Pharaoh in London too. They were great too, albeit not quite as good. Shorter set, and not my favourite tracklist, but the final version of "Revolution" was ace. I couldn't stick around to see Circle again on Sunday night though.

19. I enjoyed them in Bradford - but I'm still unconvinced they're actually a good band. There seems little meat beneath the entertainment value.

What's a good record to check out? I'm frequently wrong.

20. ohgee

ohgee New Member

My favourite is still probably "Prospekt" which was the first album of theirs I bought. It rocks a lot, but it's not as metal as their later stuff. If that's what you want then "Sunrise" is a good place to start. Towards the weirder end of what they do, I like the campfire spookiness of "Forest" or "Guillotine". Most of these records are from the early noughties, which is probably my favourite period for their recorded work. The first Pharaoh Overlord album is a classic too. Elemental stoner rock. Very primitive.

21. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    I went to Threadfest aye, I loved it! At first I thought the keyboard player/singer was too much for me to handle, when the set started he was pointing directly at me and uttering in Finish, it was pretty terrifying to be honest, but by the end of it I was fully on board with what was just a brilliant show/performance. Their heavier stuff sounded brilliant. The one that Janne sung, was that Beer and Ribs? It came out a couple of years ago I think when they briefly changed their name.

Really gutted I didn't see Pharaoh Overlord in London, I was told it was brilliant and I've seen photos of them in formation like something from Bohemian Rhapsody. Such a whacky but talented group of individuals.