1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Churwell Pubs

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BeestonMalcolm, Jun 10, 2012.

1. BeestonMalcolm

BeestonMalcolm New Member

Many years ago (1960's) I heard a rumour that aquaintances of mine took over the running of a pub in Churwell.Their names were John and Edie Dix or Dicks. The same source also said that there three pubs on Churwell Hill known by some as - Top 'oil,Middle 'oil and Bottom 'oil. (how very Yorkshire)

Can any one shed any more light on this please

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

I remember John Charles the legendary Leeds United player was the landlord of one of the Cherwell hill Pubs back in the 70s ,we went in there and he was collecting the glasses, i think it was the middle one .dont the locals call it cheryll hill?

4. cherrilman

cherrilman New Member

Bottom oil is the New Inn which John Charles was landlord
    Middle Oil was the Old Goldern Fleece now pulled down and a tesco store
    Top Oil is the Commercial

Google is out of date golden fleece is still there
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en

5. BeestonMalcolm

BeestonMalcolm New Member

Thanks for the interesting info peeps - my question remains unanswered, but there's time yet.
    Now you come to mention it harrygarner I do remember it being called cherryl hill.Churwell was only a bike ride away from where I lived but I never actually went there.

6. Grif

Grif New Member

I remember going in the Bottom 'Oil when John Charles was there. Still my preferred pub of the three.

I think fewer people refer to Churwell as 'Churrill' (or however it's spelt) these days, probably as off-cummed-uns move into the area into all the new houses behind Manor Farm.

It'll allus be Churrill 'Ill to me. I lived on Granny Avenue, just behind the Bottom 'Oil, for about 10 years, then moved away to Morley.

7. joan impey

joan impey New Member

8. joan impey

joan impey New Member