1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

changing leeds

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by harrygarner, Apr 2, 2016.

1. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

This place we call leeds has over the years lost so many iconic buildings within the city centre what is left mirrors every other city in Britain ,shopping centres abound all selling much the same merchandise as other outlets , the market is a shadow of it former self ,the area around the Merrion centre has lost the lovely tutor style shops which graced the lower end near the wrens public house.witness the destruction in city square now a concrete jungle with featureless buildings plus central station and the wonderful railway goods depot buildings all swept away ,How less congested would leeds City station today had central been retained along with the goods depot facilities, Leeds City is now a featureless wasteland and all in the name of progress .

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Leeds is so much better than it was when I moved here 20 years ago. Progress!

4. GregB

GregB Active Member

I've been here since 1990 and the City Centre is miles better than it was back then.

Sure there are things I dislike and mistakes have been made but it is a far more interesting and vibrant place than it used to be.

5. harrygarner

harrygarner Member

Fair comments in some respects progress can be a positive initiative and in some repects leeds has stepped up to the plate. progress is inevitable and so one has to move on etc its a generation issue and changes are frowned upon when it comes at the cost of losing historic buildings however this is how it is

6. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I think Leeds is way better than when I moved here in 1999 (and then moved home, and then back again) but they do have a bit of a dubious reputation with 'listed buildings' nothing is safe in Leeds from the demolision ball.