1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Car Servicing and Repairs.

Discussion in 'Leeds Classified Ads' started by jackdaly, Sep 18, 2014.

1. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Don't know why I have not put this on before.

For the last thirty years I have run Volvo's and had them serviced or any repairs at P.and R. cars Burley Place (under the Viaduct on the traffic lights on Kirkstall Rd.) they are not the cheapest but I have had nothing but the very best of attention from them. they are two local lads who "Tell you like it is" no bull**** and no inventing problems with your motor as is the practice of so many garages but to give you an idea how highly I rate them when I lived in Spain for 8 years (we came home in the summer) I used to have my car serviced etc. when I was home and even now living in the South West I have any work done on the Volvo at the same time as I visit my family in Leeds.
    I could enthuse more but as I have been at the mercy of so many car mechanics in my time.

my apologies for going on a bit.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Benggo

Benggo New Member

I have a MK2 Ford Focus,in the first week of June the engine management light came on,I had a diagnostic test done at a Ford main dealer which indicated the catalitic converter was not working and was quoted £600 for labour,two hours,and a total of £1,720.but there wasn't a catalitic converter in the country.
    I found a reputable garage which quoted £80 for labour and an aftermarket catalitic converter,total cost £550.
    I know now what ripped off means,I know main dealers are expensive but not that expensive;and the new name for Ford owned garages "Trust Ford".
    Would you?

4. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

The trouble with garages is that they can all seem trustworthy until they get caught.
    I took my car for an MOT test at local garage which is trusted by plenty of folk around here and I watched him use excessive force in his quest for corrosion.
    I don't mind that so much, but I had a quote off him for the welding: five and a half hours he reckoned. I forget how much that came to, but I bought a cheap MIG welder for less than half as much and did the job in four hours.

So either I am a shed load better at welding than I think i am, or he was pulling a bit of a scam...

5. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Agree with you there, small garages are just as bad. the times I have put a motor in for a job doing and when I have gone back at the appointed time the bonnet is still up and the mechanic shaking his head and sucking air in through his teeth. then you know the bill is going to be double the original quote.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  6. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Sometimes cars are like that though: it only takes a bolt to seize and you're in trouble. Last year we took nearly all day doing a job that should've took half an hour. I needed a new brake compensator valve: two bolts and four pipes and it's job done...
    The bolts were so badly seized that we had to snap off the bracket and weld it back on again. :icon_rolleyes:

7. lxander

lxander New Member

Does anyone know of a GOOD auto-spray garage...I need a bonnet spraying on my old classic
    many thanx

8. Italiano

Italiano Member

Try Carter & Brown Ltd off Mill Street in Leeds 9 just before the Ibis Hotel. I was recommended to them recently and got a very good quote compared to all the others and the quality of work was superb

9. Neil

Neil New Member

Does anyone know of a good garage that services BMW cars in Leeds. The main dealers are very expensive and provide poor service.
    Thanks

10. Benggo

Benggo New Member

Neil,
    expect some reply back from the main dealers.
    My experience of Ford main dealers isn't very good,I always go to a independent reputable garage nowadays.

11. Neil

Neil New Member

Thanks it was not Fords but the only BMW dealer in Leeds in Sheepscar Servicing is expensive and so are repairs. It took an hour to check my car in and an hour to check it out. There must be experienced BMW independent garages in Leeds. The competition authorities should be made aware of the total monopoly by one garage in Leeds servicing BMWs.
    Thanks
    Neil

12. Rick

Rick Member

Have a google for "independent bmw Leeds" and you will find a few listed; more a question of where in Leeds you want to go.

As a rough rule of thumb independents charge about half the hourly rates of the main dealers, ask what their hourly rate is.

Main dealers would have you believe that there are no DIY jobs possible on modern cars. In reality there is still plenty of spannering that can be done at home; if you have the time and inclination. Not for everyone though.

13. Neil

Neil New Member

Thank you Rick.
    Will do. Your advice is much appreciated.
    Neil