1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Staypuff, Aug 18, 2014.

1. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I went to watch it on a double date when it came out. Ha. I think it was my choice as well.. To be fair though I do know enough about pinot off it to actually have a reasonably decent conversation at schmoozy events but that's all I got from it.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Pickpocket

Pickpocket Member

The best book I've read recently is 'The Collector' by John Fowles (he of 'The Magus' and 'French Lieutenant's Woman' fame) - it contains one of the most despicable villains in literature, and is masterfully written. I'm surprised he's not talked about in the same bracket as Greene, Orwell etc.

4. I'm doing The Tin Drum, seeing as GG karked it, I feel like I should.

It's good! Weird and funny but pretty easy to read - like a more chilled out Germanic Rushdie.

5. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

This book looks great. Good find.

6. ohgee

ohgee New Member

I'm about halfway through this at the moment and finding it very enjoyable. The story-telling is lush, tangential and meandering - almost a little Dickensian - and the characters are lovingly painted. It could probably stand to be shorter but the rambling nature of it is part of its appeal.

7. JoeBRG

JoeBRG Member

Favourite Bands:
    Radiohead/Shellac/Wu
    Love that book! One of the greatest anti-heroes of all time.

8. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    I've just finished Jolly Lad by Quietus founder John Doran. In three nights. An excellent read, a very honest account of his addictions and depression and Sunn O))) fandom.

9. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    MarcPollitt84 likes this.
  10. AgentW

AgentW Member

11. alfonse

alfonse Member

I'm reading Human Punk by John King - it's very good

12. AgentW

AgentW Member

I read that a couple of years back. I enjoyed it.

13. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yeah, I liked it too. Didn't like his football hooligan ones though.

I'm reading The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow at the moment. It's like James Ellroy wrote about the DEA and the Mexican drug cartels. I'm really enjoying it, it's got that punchy, no nonsense Ellroy style. It's got all that massive right wing terror/Vatican/CIA conspiracy stuff going on too.

14. alfonse

alfonse Member

and now I'm back on The Wasp Factory. Ace stuff.

15. Rover

Rover Member

I'm sort of addicted to books about WW!!. I thought I'd heard everything about Hitler, I have begun "HITLER" by Ian Kershaw. It is a great biography.

16. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    I like a bit of war reading too. Philip Kerr's 'Bernie Gunther' series is prob my fave.

Currently reading Chris Brookmyre's latest. Sharp tongued, page turning 'whodunnit' stuff. (Nowt to do with war.)