1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Staypuff, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    It's brilliant. Make notes.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. alfonse

alfonse Member

The Enemy Within - Seamus Milne about the Miners' Strike and events leading up to and after. Massively important read

4. Yep. Great book... terrifying. A must read for anyone interested in politics. Not really about the miner's strike per se... no personal stories or narrative history. More about the lengths the establishment will go to to crush any dissent.

Saw SM do a Q&A with Owen Jones last year. I probably should have felt inspired to take action, but I felt like the chains are so tight now any real threat to the status quo wouldn't ever be allowed by MI5 etc. Democracy is over, probably not going to vote anymore, and this book was a big factor in the decision.

The stuff about MI5 trying to topple Harold Wilson and their infiltration of the highest levels of the press was shocking. If the Prime Minister can't resist and is vunerable to the machinations, what chance do I have?

5. alfonse

alfonse Member

Very very decent and important points. Democracy is a pipe dream in this country - so much needs to be changed for us to ever approach anything like democracy. What we have now is at "best" plutocracy and at worst demagogy

fonse

6. The Stodd

The Stodd Member

Fight Club sequel.

It's a comic. I was cynical, but the first 2 pages have me hooked.

7. katyR

katyR Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Asa Hawks ;p
    Just started The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber. Very good.

8. The Stodd

The Stodd Member

Warren Ellis-Gun Machine

Crime novel by the acclaimed writer of Transmetropolitan, possibly the greatest graphic novel series ever written.

9. JimShatner

JimShatner Member

I just read "Cloud Atlas" which I thought was a brilliant piece of writing (not surprised the film was confusing though).

If you haven't read the Ghormenghast books by Mervyn Peake, do - it was a long time ago when I read them but they left a lasting impression.

10. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Finished Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

I know I'm in the minority & it's renowned as being brilliantly subtle, but (& I don't need pyrotechnics at every corner) I found it dry to the extent of being a bit dull.

Next up: Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton - him that did Jurassic Park; the book of which is meant to be better than t'film.

11. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I tried to read Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and kept falling asleep so I never got anywhere with it. I tried the old series and couldn't get into it, so I watched the new film and thought it was the most boring film ever. (although I did like the uncover at the end) Not my cup of tea really. Its musical equivalent is 'Ambient shoegaze'..People that like that kind of music probably like that.

12. Eccles

Eccles Member

Bob on, that. I re-read Titus Groan recently and had forgotten just how good it is. The charaterisation is amazing!

My favourite recent read was Germinal by Emile Zola. Cracking stuff. If on a Winters Night a Traveller (Italo Calvino) was also a good-un if you like that sort of post-modern thing.

13. JoeBRG

JoeBRG Member

Favourite Bands:
    Radiohead/Shellac/Wu
    Anyone on here who's expressed love for any of the great Western novels/novelists - read Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides. Just finished it and still in shock.

Narrative non-fiction told from 4 or 5 points of view of some of the main players in the genocide of the Native Americans and the "conquering" of New Mexico, California etc. Absolutely superb, read like a novel and will break your guts with horror.

14. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Finished the silo series. Thought it was pretty good, worth reading. The second book was the best

Also just finished Blood Meridian. Makes The Road seem like The Tiger Who Came For Tea

15. bongobenny

I find that tiger one a hard read. Total git.

16. alfonse

alfonse Member

I'm currently reading "Six Degrees" by Mark Lynas which is scary as shit. Basically it's split into chapters of 1 degree, 2 degrees etc and the impact of greenhouse emissions on the planet and areas of the planet that will be affected. Any of you who have kids, grand kids or are planning to do so need to read it to see what sort of future they have on this rock. It's not looking good if we carry on as we are doing now…..

17. JimShatner

JimShatner Member

For once Benny I completely agree with you. Utter mind numbing tedium from start to finish.

18. bongobenny

It dragged so badly I spent the whole time thinking I was missing something. I've watched slower though. Have you seen that wine film Sideways?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375063/

19. sic4life27

sic4life27 New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Maroon 5
    For a teary story, I recommend reading Before I Go by Colleen Oakley. It's mostly sad though, but it's definitely a great read. I recently acquired a copy and well... It's very emotional, y'know (lol)

20. katyR

katyR Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Asa Hawks ;p
    Haha Benny, Sideways is one of the boringest films I've ever seen in my life.

21. cavie

cavie Member

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Sideways are two of my favourite films. Isn't it? Yes.