1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Staypuff, Aug 18, 2014.

1. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Yeah it's really good. The chapter where bombs go off, when you know something is coming, was pretty intense!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. alfonse

alfonse Member

Finshed The Phantom by Nesbo last night - ace, best one yet

4. Brader

Brader New Member

I think i only REAAALLLLY started to enjoy it after that part with the bombs. Gets really good after that

5. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Somewhere on this thread I think I suggested Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor as a quality read.

Seems he's a good bloke, as well as being able to write a bit...

For Christmas my missus approached his publisher with the aim of getting some artwork from the book and framing it for me to hang on a wall. However, the publisher passed the email on to the author who replied saying there was no artwork available, but he'd be happy to write out a passage from the book for me.

Not only did he do this, he also added an extra line into the text with me in it, and sent it over from Ireland.

The missus asked how much he wanted for his trouble, but he shrugged it off.

Suffice to say, getting a hand-written excerpt from your favourite novel, from the author himself, had me pretty speechless.

6. katyR

katyR Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Asa Hawks ;p
    That's brilliant! I loved that book.

7. Brader

Brader New Member

im afraid i need a wool update....

8. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Ha! Finished the second book early in the new year and enjoyed it. Left more questions than it answered though. Thought it was slightly disappointing that it couldn't really be taken as a work in its own right, like the first book, but rather needs Dust to complete it.

Having a break from the series at the mo and I'm reading H is for Hawk by Sarah Macdonald. Will pick up Dust after I've finished that in a couple of weeks or so :)

9. AgentW

AgentW Member

I finished Jung Chang's book about Empress Dowager Cixi yesterday. It's ace. Reads like a novel. Recommended.

10. JoeBRG

JoeBRG Member

Favourite Bands:
    Radiohead/Shellac/Wu
    Read 2 recently (Black Spider - great, Peter Schleiml - pants) and realised I have a bit of a thing rn for books about people who make a pact with the devil, but I'm willing to extend to other mythical bad guys too.

ANY suggestions: novels, shorts, graphic novels?

11. Brader

Brader New Member

If devil pacts are your bag then you defo need to get into the Preacher graphic novels.

12. Daimo

Daimo Member

The Preacher graphic novels are some of my favourite of all time. The fact that Seth Rogan is overseeing a TV series greatly displeases me

13. MarcPollitt84

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Not the devil per se but involving the occult, has anyone else read the caballistics inc graphic novels. I thought they were great but cancelled just as they were getting really good.

14. JoeBRG

JoeBRG Member

Favourite Bands:
    Radiohead/Shellac/Wu
    I read the first Preacher and I thought it was okay, visually amazing but the gags were a bit cheap and the plot was a little predictable.

I've enjoyed The Sandman series for the most part, plenty of deals with occult figures in that one. I really like stuff rooted in old folk tales which is why I went for the other two I mentioned, they've all been European though, I quite fancy looking further afield if anyone knows of any S.American or Russian/Eastern ones.

15. JoeBRG

JoeBRG Member

Favourite Bands:
    Radiohead/Shellac/Wu
    I read the first Preacher and I thought it was okay, visually amazing but the gags were a bit cheap and the plot was a little predictable.

I've enjoyed The Sandman series for the most part, plenty of deals with occult figures in that one. I really like stuff rooted in old folk tales which is why I went for the other two I mentioned, they've all been European though, I quite fancy looking further afield if anyone knows of any S.American or Russian/Eastern ones.

16. The Stodd

The Stodd Member

Love Preacher.

Joe - American Gods by Neil Gaiman (if you haven't already.)

I'm having a bit of a Shirley Jackson session at the moment.

17. Brader

Brader New Member

Started the saga GN recently and theyre pretty good.

Anyone read crossed? its like the walking dead for the sick and twisted.

18. O Captain

O Captain New Member

Favourite Bands:
    death cab for cutie
    Is Crossed the one by Garth Ennis? I think I've heard Scroobius Pip mention it a couple of times on his podcast. I enjoyed The Boys but stopped reading at Vol5 (lack of money etc.) so need to pick back up on that.

I've just finished American Dream Machine by Matthew Specktor which was a decent read - apparently been greenlit for a TV adaptation by Michael C Hall (of Dexter fame).
    Currently most of the way through 'Wolf in White Van' by John Darnielle (of The Mountain Goats) and it's absolutely riveting. One of the best novels I've read in a while.

19. katyR

katyR Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Asa Hawks ;p
    I didn't know until recently he is Sinead O'Connor's brother.

20. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Aye, he is.

After a couple of emails between me and "Joe" we're pretty much best mates now, so she's kind of like extended family to me...

21. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
    Onto 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' by le Carre.

Sure it'll be ace once I know what's going on...