1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Staypuff, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

Right, I've just given up on Game of Thrones (the books) as it's spectacularly boring. Anyone got any decent recommendations? You lot have always been reliable in the past!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Pickpocket

Pickpocket Member

'Rogue Male' - Geoffery Household. The pinnacle of 'intelligent thrillers' - you'll get through it in a couple of days.

4. Pickpocket

Pickpocket Member

Also 'Stoner' by John Williams. It's had a massive resurgence recently, and rightly so. Truly heartbreaking and beautifully written.

5. dodell

dodell New Member

I really like Willy Vlautin's (frontman of Richmond Fontaine) novels. He cites John Steinbeck, Raymond Carver, Barry Gifford, and William Kennedy as influences. He's got quite a simple writing style, but is really good at injecting beauty and romance into the lives of lowly everyday American characters. The Motel Life and a brand new one, The Free, are particular favourites.

6. Eccles

Eccles Member

I finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay (Michael Chabon) yesterday, which I found pretty enjoyable. Not deep or complex, but if you're interested in magic, illusion, escapism (both the literal and metaphorical) and particularly the Golden Age of comic books you can't go wrong.

7. Chris

Chris New Member

Great read!

Just finished The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton, about the doping in the pro peloton in the 90's & 00's. Jaw-dropping stuff.

8. Brader

Brader New Member

Oh man, Were you ever into Fallout video game series?

Ive just finished Wool and already halfway through book 2. (Wool, Shift and Dust make up the trilogy).
    Post apocalyptic vibe about people living in an underground silo. Dont want to give too much away but HIGHLY reccomend it

9. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    That really piqued my interest but a quick google search revealed it being described as "the next Hunger Games" and "Fifty Shades of Grey of science fiction" has put me RIGHT off.

10. Brader

Brader New Member

Ha, I'd ignore that to be honest.
    Ive enjoyed it silly amounts. Ridley scott has already bought the film rights to it too.

11. Brader

Brader New Member

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/j ... wey-review

This is a fairly decent balanced review. Tried not to pick a fan boy one.
    Id highly reccomend it to you man (if you fancy a borrow too i can lend it to you - have 2 people who already want to borrow it)

Im about half way through book two "shift" which goes back in time to 2 seperate periods and got me even more into the story.

There is a very weak "love" subplot that runs through the first one but i wouldnt let it put you off too much. One of the twists that happens in the second book blew my mind and is one of the darker things ive come across. Great if you like a good conspiracy theory too.

12. fellowshade

fellowshade Member

Favourite Bands:
    The Tubes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bloody good books!

13. bserwatka

bserwatka New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Backyards
    I'm always quick to recommend anything by Murakami, but I'm a hopeless fanboy. His is a very simple style with stories that tend to veer wildly between the mundanities of life and unfathomable surrealism. Just wrapped up his new one - Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage - and as ever I'm in love.

14. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

Cheer! Loads to go at, Murukami is a good shout, I've heard a lot about him but never read anything. Never really got along with "American Fiction", I've read The Catcher In The Rye, On The Road and The Great Gatsby and didn't really like any of them so not sure Willy Vlautin is for me

15. dodell

dodell New Member

Fair enough. On The Road is incredibly over-rated, it's not even Kerouac's best. Watched the film the other week - it was predictably terrible.

16. Pickpocket

Pickpocket Member

Jack Kerouac is a dreadful writer.

Stu - that's quite a poor representation on US fiction. I'm guessing you'd really like the post-war stuff, judging by the fact you enjoyed 'A Good Soldier'. Phillip Roth, John Williams and Richard Yates are all worth a go. My favourite American Novel is 'A Confederacy Of Dunces' - the funniest book ever written.

17. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I'll certainly give them a go

18. Tom Russia

Tom Russia New Member

I don't know if it counts as "American Fiction" but I really like The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon.

19. O Captain

O Captain New Member

Favourite Bands:
    death cab for cutie
    I love his work.
    The only one of his I haven't read is 'Lean on Pete'.

Took 'The Free' as my holiday reading back in May. It had me shedding a tear on my sunbed.

20. bserwatka

bserwatka New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Backyards
    ^^^ This. Damn fine book, and arguably Pynchon's most accessible work.

21. Eccles

Eccles Member

Has anyone read 'Against the Day' by Pynchon? I read The Crying of Lot 49 and enjoyed it, and went out and got Against the Day, but it is still glaring at me from my bookshelf, unread.

Confederacy of Dunces is brilliant, although thinking about it always makes me hungry for hot dogs.

I've always thought I would love Murakami, but I read 1Q84 last year didn't really rate it. I thought I could feel the authors presence too much in a very Robert Langd....sorry, Dan Brown, kind of way. Should I persevere?

One that I haven't read yet, but has been recently highly recommended is The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann, if you like that sort of thing.