1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Barcelona Recommendations

Discussion in 'Non-Music Chat' started by TheLostArt, Oct 5, 2014.

1. TheLostArt

TheLostArt Member

I feel like we've already had this one before, but I've just decided to go on a last-minute jaunt to Barcelona for the first time!

Any suggestions would be greatly received because I fly tomorrow night and don't have much time for research!

Ta.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. ohgee

ohgee New Member

Cal Pep. Great tapas bar.

4. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    everyone i know who's been to barcelona in the past 3 years have been pick pocketed or robbed, so er, i'd recommend not getting pick pocketed or robbed.

5. eggle

eggle Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fred The Oyster
    Wonderful place and we didn't get robbed but we were on the lookout after being warned - never take cards out & about but cash for just what you need for the day. Trip Advisor has a top ten of things to see/do along with other stuff. www.sagradafamilia.cat/ is an amazing place as is Palau Guell. Get the usual travel guides (Lost Planet AA etc) from the airport. Strangely, cos I'm not really into football (the wife is!!) the Barca football ground tour was really interesting with great views from inside the press box up in the gods - the trophy room was as big as Leeds United's pitch ;). Use the hop on hop off tourist bus to get around as the main sites are spread around - buy a ticket for how ever long you will need it - the metro is not fun at all!! Oh and Barcelona is not cheap!!!! Have a great time!!

6. Ayala

Ayala Member

Favourite Bands:
    punk
    Avoid las Ramblas like the fucking plague. There are always things you tend to 'do' when you see a new city which you know might be a bit touristy but you think 'well, I've come all this way, I may as well see it for myself.' I didn't expect it to be brilliant, but I did expect it to be a bit more than a mile of crappy souvenir shops, overpriced tat, shit bars and the most laughably obvious yet simultaneously overwhelming thieves and pickpockets I've ever known.

7. TheLostArt

TheLostArt Member

Ta guys - this is all good stuff!

8. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    We went last year and were also given dire warnings about muggers and pickpockets and what have you. And we were fine - I think if you're from a decent sized city and have some idea of keeping yourself safe (ie wallet NOT hanging out of your back pocket, camera NOT in your hand at all times) you'll be ok.

As said above, the Sagrada and Park Guell are great. If you have time getting the cable car up to the castle on Montjuc is pretty damn cool, awesome views from the top. I also really enjoyed the Museum of Catalan History.

If you're veggie (or just bored of pig) I really recommend here: http://www.secretsofbarcelona.com/en/fo ... esamo.html

DO NOT go to Juicy Jones for veg food, for some reason we got loads of recommendations for here (maybe cos the Spanish don't really do veggie/vegan), and it was complete dogwank.

9. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Oh, and I thought the metro was fine, we got a ten trip card for not much cash and used the last trip to get to the airport at the end of the long weekend.

10. alfonse

alfonse Member

as a counter to this, I have been in Barcelona every year for the past 7 for a week or so and had no mither at all.

11. pomfob

pomfob Member

Favourite Bands:
    the fall
    Been maybe 8 or 9 times in the last 15 years, never been hassled, mugged, robbed, whatever. Not aware that anyone I know has...which I'm pretty sure is going to jinx my next visit.

Sagrada Familia is fantastic, but unless you're into queues & crowds, go midweek and early. La Pedrera is fairly close if you fancy some slightly less crowded Gaudi.