1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Band biogs and press releases

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by Anonymous, Jun 3, 2008.

1. always appropriate

always appropriate New Member

haha that's terrible.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

nothing infuriates me more than bands who don't put the cd's tracklisting on the pr! gaah! :axed:

4. Will Grinder

Will Grinder Member

Many moons ago somebody posted a link to something written by Tom Robinson on this subject. It was pretty much essential reading for anybody sending out promo CDs.

Does anyone still have the link?

5. Will Grinder

Will Grinder Member

Actually, I've just found it in another thread. So nevermind.
    Well done simonh. You rock.

6. Seaneeboy

Seaneeboy Member

Ooh, can you post it up?

Cheers :)

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi all,
    I posted this in Music Chat already without realising it would be as good, if not better, posted in here.

We're offering to write bands' biogs and/or press releases for them for a flat, pretty good fee, considering the people who'd be doing the writing already write for quite a few places including the NME.

If you're interested, have a look right here

8. this last

this last New Member

I read press releases.

I like two things

relevant facts. full names, dates, places, track names, release dates, urls. email addresses, producer name, phone number - that sort of thing. Accurate and comprehensive. On one sheet with clear typography.
    character. Hints about the kind of people and the ethical, social and aesthetic approach. Sometimes these are revealed unconsciously in a bad way that exaggerates your weaknesses. So always always always put honesty above claims to status - false modesty can be almost as bad as inflated egos
    no pictures Links to good quality web-usable images are a big bonus

I always enjoy reading Wrath stuff - it's art matches the music perfectly.

I hate millions of things, especially

lists that start "including the likes of ..."
    a claim to be "experimental" or "unique" - even if (in the very very unlikely event that) you are

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Indeed. Read: "this is the full list."

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Musicians Guide to World Domination pretty much sums up all the do's and dont's for creating a press pack, I think the main points are to keep it simple, and use some psychological trickery to get inside the mind of the A&R person reading it and really entice them to be interested in what you have to offer them. When you break it down, all the A&R person is looking for is the smallest risk investment with the biggest result. How are you going to be that? How can you come across as the answer without lying or twisting the truth? The answer - be that. Easier said than done but if you know what you're doing then it's possible

Read this, it explains it much better than me! www.themusiciansguide.co.uk

11. GregB

GregB Active Member

That is the worst thing closely followed by not stating a release date.