1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Band Advice

Discussion in 'Musician Resources' started by davelms, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Brader

Brader New Member

Always ... AND I MEAN ALWAYS..... take spare skins for snares and bass drums everywhere you go.

Unlike i did on our last tour then smashed through my snare on the second song of the first gig

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. TheLostArt

TheLostArt Member

Ouch. What did you do? I'd hope another act would lend you a snare, but I dunno how willing they'd be having just seen you put a stick through yours!

4. Brader

Brader New Member

we were touring with kong so they lent me one of their spares for the night.
    Had to dash out in edinborough for a music shop.

Strangely thats the first time in the 8 or 9 years ive been playing ive ever broken a skin

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi I'm the manager at woodies in headingley. we've put on a few band nights on a saturday and are looking to do this every week. We only have a small budget to work on at the moment but if you'd like a gig pop in and see me or drop me a email 8040@greeneking.co.uk

Cheers Allan

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

rehearsal space

anyone know of any good/cheap rehearsal spaces in leeds that provide a backline, or even just amps?
    ta
    toby

7. Brader

Brader New Member

Re: rehearsal space

ben ages since ive used a rehearsal room as we have one in our house now but try beaver creek?? they are based in kirkstall if they are still going

or eigar studios

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Always, and I mean always take some toilet roll with you to gigs. The pre-performance nerves that have you climbing the walls and the red bull you just necked to turn you into iggy pop will chase you down. And if it's a grotty place like the Metropolis Lounge in Peterborough, then you're going to have to make some difficult decisions when you need a crap, they're out of loo roll, and you're on in two minutes.

Thank you.

This is my fave thread btw

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Rob Galloway will tell you a little bit about not having loo roll!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i don't know if something similar has already been posted here, but here is my advice

If you ever need advice on ANYTHING (within reason), this forum is by far the best place to get it. There are so many people here who know loads about anything and everything musical, I don't think i would ever considering asking anywhere else first, this forum is probably the best resource for new bands in leeds

11. davelms

davelms Member

Favourite Bands:
    Not Telling
    50 bonus forum points to OK :)

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's also more active then Hull and York Music Forums.

13. robertbarry

robertbarry New Member

Favourite Bands:
    radiohead acdc
    be nice to the sound engineer is the best advice, if he/she asks for a beer, buy him/her a beer with a smile :)

14. robertbarry

robertbarry New Member

Favourite Bands:
    radiohead acdc
    in bigger venues etc this applies to the lighting engineers as well. Nothing like turning up to a gig which has a great lighting setup and the lighting engineer turns it all off when you walk on stage!. Even tho yes it may be the headline acts 'lighting'. If the lighting guy likes you they will 'maybe' help you out with some decent lighting. Beer :) or few quid usually does the trick.

15. robertbarry

robertbarry New Member

Favourite Bands:
    radiohead acdc
    door staff :) yes be nice to them too. They can let you in if they like you. If they perceive you as arrogant they can make you go the 'long way' when bringing your gear in :)

16. robertbarry

robertbarry New Member

Favourite Bands:
    radiohead acdc
    lol spare plectrum too is good advice

17. robertbarry

robertbarry New Member

Favourite Bands:
    radiohead acdc
    and spare set of strings

18. Huddersfelt

Huddersfelt Member

Favourite Bands:
    Arcade Fire
    If during a song things start to go really tits up - Just stop and address the problem.

I remember a gig last year during (thankfully) our last song - I somehow snapped 2 strings at once and tried to carry on our track - Which for the most part i failed to do. And during the same song the other guitarists amp cut out. It was absolutley catastrophic, bum notes galore and we eventually grinded to a halt about a minute too late followed swiftly by an apology. It was the worst ive ever felt after playing & if we'd just stopped straight away we could of either restarted properly or not caused a scene and citing technical problems left the stage.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't put yourself or your music down, there's plenty out there to do that for you. If they're not, you're not even on the radar. So be prepared for them to crush you with a rock as soon as you stick your head out. Then there's nice people as long as you're nice, but they disappear quick and you wonder what happened. So you just do what you do, make it as good as you can, be real, don't worry about the rest.
    http://www.youtube.com/legghornrecords

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do not use the internet to advertise. Facebook is the new spam. Pay for flyers, posters, magazine adds.....etc. Grow a cock and balls and take a risk. If you are not going to invest in your own art then who else is going to? If you want people to come to your gigs then you have to play the game.

It is so sad when I see a band that have a good record out who are playing a shit venue on a shit night with shit supports....etc. Never be seen to fail. Show some pride!!

21. AlexBlueSky

AlexBlueSky New Member

ยง

I'll vouch for that! I put through a kick drum skin at Dry Dock once during the first tune. **** knows how. Luckily Mishkin had a spare with them - otherwise the whole gig would have been fucked. We were on first! This certainly contributes to the neverending list of reasons I don't drum anymore.