1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Are you working

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Retired, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Retired

Retired New Member

Are you working maybe in a Cafe,Supermarket,Shop etc and struggling for extra money.Well why do we bother.I before i retired did shift work.The first eleven years i did earlies up at 04-15 six mornings a week started work at 05-00.For what to pay taxes.Even now like everyone else i pay for my dental treatment.I think i have been a mug.Considering the following this morning.
    Dawn Pearsaon 50 claimed £33,206 in 16 months that she was not entitled to,Marie Barbier 29 claimed £45,000 in benefits she was not entitled to over three years.
    And best of allsome young people think the world owes them a living.19 year old Lauren from London dropped out of school at 16 pregnant.Never worked apart from a short go at being a cleaner.She is fed up of living on a budget She is entitled to, get this £22,380 in all benefits.And she is ****** off.
    Well she is not the only one.
    It's about time this benefit system was sorted out once and for all.I know a really dirty four letter word that mosat people don't like it's WORK.I am fed up of spongers and it's going to get worse.Next in line are th newentrants allowed by the EU the Ukraine people are going to be allowed to claim our benefits.
    Will the last real British person left in this country please turn off the lights.
    And like me don't vot Libs,Cons or Labour net tme vote for someone who cares about good old GB
    We have been saying R.I.P Sir Jim al this week.Well R.I.P Great Britain for you are gone forever thanks to mindless immigration.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

I know what you mean. I have two kids but decided to work. Both my husband and I work full time and we pay a fortune for the childcare. But its the way we want it. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking its ok to sit on your backside all day and accept handouts.

Yes, it can be hard to get a job and there are a hell of a lot of people getting made redundant. But benefits should be for those kind of situations, where people are genuinely trying to get a job.

Last year I gave my kids the best Christmas we could afford. They had around 5-6 good presents and a few stocking fillers.

Then someone I have added as a friend on Facebook added her Christmas photos. She must have had at least 15 presents for each of her four children, all things like Ipads, DS etc etc. Yes you guessed it, neither her or her husband work.

Its a sad state of affairs where me and hubby both have decent jobs but would not really be much worse off if we were both sat at home on benefits.

4. Malky

Malky New Member

30+ plus years in heavy industry, shifts ……….. been there done that, including 12hr shifts and for what?

I was on the fringe of being able to retire at 50 but what happened, my final salary scheme collapsed and the government changed the rules meaning early retirement starts at 55 ……….. if you are lucky ………. But the way things are going that’s more likely to end up at 70. :frown:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  5. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

That is what needs to happen. Because my hours have recently been reduced, I may be entitled to WTC, but I will still be taying tax; work that one out :icon_redface:

I work and pay tax, I dont get any benefits; but I could give a donation to an homeless person in need. If benefits were reduced, surely if they were in need, people would help them. That is what we need to get back to.

6. Totomar

Totomar New Member

I agree with all the above.

I've been a damned fool and worked all my life, saved for my retirement - even when we could ill-afford to. This includes 12 years in the armed forces, engineering - shift work, including nights, overtime when available.

I saved in an AVC scheme and also in the firm's pension scheme.

Now that I'm retired, I find that most things that I want to claim for (ie. carer's allowance) are 'means tested'.

As far as I am concerned if you have to disclose your income and/or savings, it's begging.

I refuse to beg

If I had not worked and relied on the state to keep us, we would be better off now.

My advice to young people is not to save up for your retirement as you will be better off when the time comes by claiming everything from the state.

7. Malky

Malky New Member

It’s hard for me to say but it seems you are right ……………..**** it all up against a wall and let someone else worry about it ………… you know it makes sence.

Who wants to work 12hr shifts, weekends, bank holidays, overtime etc and then have it all taken off you in your twilight years …………… when you are in that OAP home do you really want them all laughing at you.

I can just imagine the conversation …

What did you do for a living?

40 years down the pit or 40 years in the steelworks

What did you do?

**** all

8. Retired

Retired New Member

What got me wound up about this was .The young woman on Radio 4 complaining about living on a budget.She has never worked yet get entitlements upto £22,380.That equates to a £30,000 job before tax.So i can't see why she should be whinging.
    I get just over £8,000 work pension and in three years time £103 per week in state pension and i shall pay even more tax.I worked for 40 years and two months doing shift work.I never got £30,000 per year.
    It beggars belief that people should actually say to the Gov look i am not going to work but i want £23,000 per year free and schooling for my brood,somewhere to live and medical treatment and i want it now.When did choosing not to work come into effect cos i seemed to missed out on my choice.And she is not the only one i know one exactly like her just five streets away from where i live.She has two rug rats from a local stud.And she is complaining about the house she has been given free.You could not make it up.Bring on the Revolution.Pensioners arise and stand up for your rights.You don't get £22,380 mores the pity.

9. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Indeed, but if the Government say they are going to cut; everyone thinks that the politicains are all liers and just looking out for themselves.

I wouldnt trust a Tory as far as I could throw one, and New Labour arent much better.

10. spanielsmum

spanielsmum New Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  11. nevben

nevben New Member

I agree with the above, I shall pay tax to beyond the grave.
    In addition I shall have to pay things that those who have no private pension get for free, as these are means tested.
    I am fortunate in that I have a substantial income from my pension, which exceeds what I have to pay in things like council tax, the people that I feel sorry for are those who have a small income from their pensions, I know of one person who's pension only leaves him with an extra £5 in his pocket after paying his council tax.

12. Totomar

Totomar New Member

Spanielsmum - Thanks for the information, but, see #13 of the thread you pointed to me.

It's all very complicated.