1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Are we all happy?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MrTempleDene, Aug 6, 2015.

1. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Mexico75

Mexico75 Active Member

Definitely, I'm Shandy drinking Southern expat. Moved here 10 years ago when I got out of the Forces and wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the country now, not that the wife who is Leeds born and bred would live anywhere else anyway. Not to happy with the country as whole and would happily emigrate given the chance, but as long as I live in this country I wouldn't live anywhere else.

4. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

Well apparently Harrogate is THE happiest place to live and, seeing as I technically live there (well, a Harrogate postcode anyway) I should be ecstatic.

Except, of course, that I know that Harrogate is really full of nasty, small-minded, inbred, racist, Tory mutants.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33794154

Fastfreddy, Matheius and Mexico75 like this.
  5. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

I would say that it is you who are nasty and small minded.

6. sevenhills

sevenhills Active Member

Its down to your own mood, I am happy to live in Leeds, but I have been happier in the past.

7. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

You've never even met me, nor have you met the people to whom I am referring

8. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

I'm happy. I don't know if it's got anything to do with living in Leeds though. I'm happily married, have awesome healthy kids, a roof over our heads and a job I don't mind (job is nothing to write home about but like the people I work with) that pays enough to cover the bills and a little left over for days out / holidays etc.

So I guess that stuff would probably still stand if I lived elsewhere. Although I do love Leeds (more Yorkshire as a whole to be honest).

9. LS resident

LS resident Member

I'm fairly happy, life is going ok at the moment, and I tend to enjoy the little things in life.

I'm certainly happy living in Leeds, I think its a great city, plenty of quality, buzz and big city feel, but not oversized and mainly surrounded by some of the best parts of Britain.

10. Fastfreddy

Fastfreddy Well-Known Member

Totally with stardust

11. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

Moving away from Wolverhampton was probably the best thing I ever did. I love home, but I don't drive and without a car there's nothing do do, and with one there's nothing to drink! I like city breaks with lots of pubs and museums. Leeds is perfect for that because the Yorkshire conurbation is perfect for that.

12. Fastfreddy

I live a little bit too near Bradford these days and thats like a different country so sometimes I dont feel happy and I want to move.

13. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I have, in my 19 years on this Earth, lived or worked in: Liverpool, Hull, London, Manchester, Leeds, Otley, Saltaire and, now, Knaresborough. I can honestly say I've never been as happy as I am now. Even though I'm not a Yorkshire native this is definitely home.

14. Fastfreddy

Knarebrough is a nice place. Its hard not to be happy living there..

15. GregB

GregB Active Member

Southerner born and bred but been here 25 years and wouldn't go back. My missus is a Mancunian and also loves it here.

16. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

No but I read your comment. So Harrogate is "full" of people you don't like? You know every one personally I take it?

17. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

No, however I do regularly post on a Harrogate forum which has 14k members (roughly 1/3 the population of Harrogate, though obviously this doesn't account for people living elsewhere, duplicate accounts, etc; however it provides a useful starting point from where one can extrapolate a general consensus of opinion). During the last election an informal poll on said forum inicated a 70% majority of users voting Tory or UKIP. Furthermore the regular tone of conversation is extremely right wing, frequently racist and often offensive. On the morning I posted my previous comment, for example, someone had posted a poorly photoshopped picture of the White Cliffs of Dover on which had been added a mosque and a billboard bearing the legend "PISS OFF, WE'RE FULL", much to the amusement and support of the gathered throng.

Now you may consider me to be small-minded, however I am strongly oppossed to racism, sexism, homophobia, disability discrimination and the exploitation or abuse of any group. If that makes me small minded then it is my burden to bear, however I assure you that I am big enought to recognise that you're ill-informed and I fully accept your apology.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  18. JBR*

JBR* Member

My feelings exactly.
    I was born and brought up in Bradford and, after moving around a bit, ended up here on the wrong side of the Pennines.
    There are some lovely places in God's County that we'd readily move back to, but Bradford isn't one of them.

19. LS resident

LS resident Member

I lived in Bradford for a few years but had to leave. Although Leeds is only a few miles away its like a different world (in my opinion).

JBR* likes this.
  20. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

What is the name of the forum to which you allude which according to your figure has around 1/5, not 1/3 of residents as members?

21. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    What's wrong with Bradford? They have craft beer and Recon and everything nowadays.