1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Anyone know anything about fireplaces?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by leedsman1954, Nov 19, 2014.

1. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

Following on from my (eventually) successful exploits with coving, I'm now having to look at the fireplace. This is the original from when the house was built in 1955 and is a tiled affair for a real fire. We want to keep the real fire so I'm looking for advice. Can they be taken out with not too much trouble...how are they fastened to the chimney breast? I did wonder about re-tiling it but I don't know whether my tiling skills are up to the job! Any input gratefully received.
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Janus

Janus Member

Can I ask, as you would prefer to keep the real fire, do you mean you want to change it for a different one?
  4. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

We want to keep a real fire it's just that the tiled fireplace is looking the worse for wear. I suppose that's not so surprising considering it is nearly 60 years old. I'd be happy to try retiling but I'm just looking for guidance if possible.
  5. Janus

Janus Member

Yes, I understand that you want to retile. I was just trying to establish the reason for wanting to take the real fire out if you want to keep it. I assume that the reason you are asking if it can be taken out with not too much trouble, is because you are putting a NEW real fire in.

OR does it have to come out just to do the tiling?

I was going to tell you about the marble back plate & hearth that I put in, and the "old style" wooden surround. They go very well together, dark wood and white marble with naturally formed blue veins running through it.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  6. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

Yes, that really is the crux of the thing, will it be a huge job to remove the fireplace? My wife says it needs taking out and a new one getting, which is all very well but she isn't the one who has to do it! That's why I thought a retiling job would be a compromise. Your fireplace sounds attractive..I have mental picture forming in my mind.
  7. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

All I know is the tiles have to be special heat resistant ones. I'm not sure how you take out a fireplace? surely it's built in to the chimney? re-tiling sounds more feasible.
  8. Janus

Janus Member

OK Leedsman. Thank you for clarifying the task you are considering. When your wife says she wants the fireplace taken out, I would establish exactly what she really means in all seriousness. For example, I’m guessing that she just means the area in front of the chimney that the tiles are attached to? It is unlikely that she also means the removal of the old fireback (which is made from a fire-resistant material similar to firebrick material), and your wife will not be aware of this part of the fireplace.

I would suggest that you advise her that there is going to be dust. Have a look at the first 2 video clips (fireplace removal), and acknowledge that once you have removed the front part of the fireplace (the part with the tiles on), that removal of bricks from behind the fireplace has be to done selectively if at all-there is a big chimney above being supported. It can be done with caution, and I admire and respect the fact that you are willing to have a go.

This 3rd clip shows how to put the new fireback in (assuming you need to) Pay particular attention to the sealing methods (sealing rope & rockwool) Real fires give off carbon monoxide too! Lastly, remember that you still need another fireplace to complete the job. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Fitting a new fireback.
  9. K1P1

K1P1 New Member

My chap is pretty knowledgable on the fireplace front having done loads. Also woodburners Agas etc. When you've sorted out what you're wanting to do, pm me.

The advice re: dust is a valid consideration. Also the possibility of needing to make good any damaged plaster afterwards.
  10. JohnnoLS8

JohnnoLS8 Member

I helped my dad remove a fireplace, but it was about thirty years ago so my recollection is a bit hazy! The main thing I remember is that it weighed a flipping ton. It was attached to the wall with some kind of metal brackets. It wasn't an integral part of the fire itself though. Basically just a surround for the actual fireplace and a shelf above.

Once it was removed, it was a matter of making good the wall behind and then putting another one on in it's place.

Not sure if that's any help at all...
  11. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

Thanks for the info. Things haven't progressed very much since I originally posted, I've trapped a nerve, slipped a disc, or something, (doc not sure) and it hurts to do anything!
  12. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

I chickened out of ripping out / retiling the fireplace. I bought some Stonelux paint and I must admit it looks pretty good! This is a water based paint with ground stone, in my case, white limestone, and it dries to a stone look finish. Considering that it has stone grains in it, it goes on quite easily. Cost about £75 for paint and primer, a lot cheaper than a new fireplace!
  13. Slaphead2

Slaphead2 Member

Just to say that I built a number of stone fireplaces for friends and relatives years ago. We thought they were brilliant then - I would not give them house room these days - a bit too 70's!!

You never know though - what goes round comes round....
  14. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

If you're inside the smokeless zone, then you probably want to take out the fireplace and install a stove. I'd recommend that anyway as they are quite a lot more efficient than an open fire.
    I've taken out a few fireplaces, they're usually secured to the wall with a bracket that is plastered over.