1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

all the stinky places in Leeds have gone

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by N Brown, May 28, 2015.

1. N Brown

N Brown New Member

...they have though haven't they?

Been thinking this a lot recently, in 2002 Leeds was stinky and grimy, the streets were grimy from building work, you had piss stinky my indie nightmare Cockpit, piss stinky Bassment/Phono. Obviously there were rougher pubs like Lil's/Vine and that but I'm talking more about actual dirt and shabbiness. There's a few 'rustic' type places but nowhere seems that unhygienic or dilapidated anymore. I like cleanliness and good quality products as much as next person (though it comes at price innit)but with all the gentrification I think I miss a bit of the piss stinky. Can anyone think of any places that are still really shit dirty and low quality?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

I think the last one to go was Fab the other week wasn't it? What's key club like? The toilets any better than they were when it was that rock place? They were like something out of Saw.

4. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

Mr Foley's. Reeks of piss.

5. Fezz

Fezz Member

Last few times I've been in the three legs, the toilets have been a good four inches deep in piss.

6. TheLostArt

TheLostArt Member

Mr Foley's looks like it should be a fancy place but when I was last there the tables were covered in empty glasses and crisp packets, and the whole thing looked pretty shitty.

Surely there must be some old pubs that are still grotty? The Three Legs? General Elliot?

7. AgentW

AgentW Member

The Fenton's still pretty shabby in a dying-on-its-arse kind of way.

8. cuttlefish

cuttlefish New Member

Favourite Bands:
    Vessels, Calla, Valv
    guys, it's never too late to stand up for your beliefs.

If you want more stinky places: roll up to the swankiest bars in town, drop trow and lay a steaming curler right in the middle of their floor.

9. Daimo

Daimo Member

The last time I was in the Duncan it reeked of piss

10. bongobenny

Does Foleys still smell? They need to sort that out. If we're back on pubs Duncan. Has anyone been in after the 'refurb'

The Brown Hare. I'm not even joking. In the gents the bog roll is outside the door. I went in there the other day (because it's my only local pub) and there was a guy in there sitting on the loo door open reaching around to wipe his arse. No shame whatsoever.

11. bongobenny

Great minds

12. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Carpe still has flies in the bog.

Mr Foleys still stinks.

I've heard the Key Club is an utter shit tip

13. MarcPollitt84

MarcPollitt84 Well-Known Member

Favourite Bands:
    Two Gallants
    Wait wait wait, the duncan has had a refurb?

That's fucking blasphemy!

14. N Brown

N Brown New Member

Cardi Arms is pretty shambolic, amazes me it hasn't gone the way of the Queen on Burley Road and turned into a Tesco Metro. Queen was alright actually in homely way, used to live near it. Think the writing was on the wall when someone got stabbed outside there.

Jeez, remember when Kirkstall and Burley roads were both still narrow and Caspers was there? Used to get a real industrial Manchester Ancoats sorta vibe down there, very grim and desolate, has completely changed. And Winstons! Nearly forgot about that, beggars belief that such a notorious knocking shop was practically in the city centre...different times...

15. N Brown

N Brown New Member

One of the first places I used to go back in 03-ish when new to Leeds was deepest, darkest Seacroft - a guy from there joined my old band very briefly and I used to go round his house. **** me talk about in at the deep end! Truly different world is/was East Leeds. When Kaiser Chiefs used to say 'Everything Is Brilliant In Leeds' I used to think 'you have obviously never been to Seacroft or Halton Moor'.

16. bongobenny

I ran the open mic at the Queen for three months, they had absolutely massive speakers in there and the sound system was really clear. The regulars had no interest whatsoever in it though so I left. Ridiculously though despite the fact that barely anyone ever came when I left they contacted me to ask if I wanted to carry on which was really odd. It was the second worst open mic I've ever run behind a biker bar that turned out to be a massive Satans Slaves haunt...I played in a duo with a black guy. That was awkward.

17. Chris

Chris New Member

Ah Caspers. Never went in there but the vibes were strong. Walking past on the way home late one night/morning I was laughing at a lairy, drunk woman who was spreadeagled on the bonnet of a taxi as it tried to leave the car park when a distraught, also pissed-up, slightly younger woman told me not to laugh at her mum.

18. johnnycasual!

johnnycasual! Member

Quite sad what happened to Seacroft, I went to school there and My Grandma lived there as well, until one night two lads broke into her house and hit her over the head with a baseball bat whilst she was in bed (she survived). Trust me the craft beer coffee beard tattoo scene is a million miles away from life on Kentmere Approach.

19. johnnycasual!

johnnycasual! Member

Totally brutal was Casper's, I believe the tagline for it was "A friendly Nite Spot". I miss Leeds like that really. I do feel that if you were born in Leeds you aren't welcome here when you enter adulthood. Say a group of lads from East End Park tries to get into The Oak in Headingley on a Saturday night; I bet they don't stand a chance yet a group dressed like "Where's Wally" straight in and shots on the bar.

20. Mark Sturdy

Mark Sturdy Member

Well, the Primrose seems to have had a bit of a renaissance lately...

21. andyabbott

andyabbott New Member

I'm quite happy that Leeds hasn't gone down the piss-aesthetic for its trendy bars a la Big Hands in Manchester or even the otherwise-decent Islington Mill in Salford. Belgrave definitely does austerity chic with high bar prices but I'm glad they've kept it to just chipboard and not inches of piss and sticky floors as seems to be the trend over the pennines; as if foul toilets are some badge of authenticity.

When I lived at the bottom of Hyde Park road The Queen was our regular. I used to enjoy playing on their 'speed cloth' pool table during the day when the only other clientele were the gambling OAPs who swore literally every second word. Caspers was always tempting on the way home from town but I think only James ever plucked up the courage to go in and came out again within the minute.

Interesting that Big Lil's is reopening though. It could perhaps give a few nods to the lost institutions of Leeds.