1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

All Change at the House...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Hairyloon, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

It seems that Her Majesty's Opposition has a new leader of a type not seen in a long time...
    and it has properly put the cat amongst the pigeons...

Of all the goings on about it though, I think I am least impressed by your local girl Rachael Reeves. I can fully understand and support a decision to step down from the Shadow Cabinet when you disagree substantially with your leader, and I can also understand a decision to do it in order to spend more time with one's family, but to announce that decision on the day that the new leader is instated and to then try to convince us that the reason was the latter one is a load of hogwash and an insult to her constituents... I'm just glad that I'm not one.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. jar ed

jar ed Member

if you're talking about Jeremy Cronyn he seems like a bit of a far left nutter and "women only" railway carriages? He could be a relic from the 1950s who somebody found preserved in an ice capsule and brought back to life

4. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Have you seen this?
    [​IMG]

Despite appearances A and B are the same shade of grey.
    In a similar way, Corbyn seems far left only because he is in contrast to the far right that have been prevailing.
    As for "nutter", perhaps you'd like to be specific about what you think is nutty?
    Rail minister Claire Perry suggested introducing women-only carriages was an idea worth considering in September last year. Strange how it is Corbyn that gets the flak for it.

5. leedsman1954

leedsman1954 Member

Nutty? how about unlimited immigration, no benefits cap,wanting out of NATO hob-nobbing with terrorists, cutting the armed forces...need I go on? I saw a quote from Die Welt where he was called a Utopian leftist with no idea of the real world ( or something close) which sums him up. With him in charge we'd be back to the seventies in no time.

6. jar ed

jar ed Member

That settles it for the Labour party next election. Do they have a death wish?

7. eggle

eggle Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fred The Oyster
    PMQ's tomorrow will be interesting. As a paid up Labour party supporter I'm pretty unhappy with Corbyn being in charge & I agree, Labour will not win the next election under him. However, I think he (or anybody else) is just a stalking horse until after the next election when Neil Kinnock's son, married to the Danish premier, who's term finishes in time for the next general election will be the surprise. Watch this space!!! Just my opinion of course - plz don't do a Freddy on me!!!!!!!

8. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

I don't think that Labour would win under any of them. Nor do I think I'd want them to: another coalition with a different make-up is probably the best we can expect.
    Hopefully, Labour will wake up to the fact that they are screwed and work out a plan for electoral reform, because that is really what we need.

Corbyn at least offers something different and if nothing else, he should deliver an opposition that actually opposes.

runaways likes this.
  9. jar ed

jar ed Member

An opposition that works effectively, not a three ring circus

10. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

It's a difficult one. I can't say I whole-heartedly agree with everything Corbyn stands for, and I think it would be foolish to do so, however he offers a genuine alternative to the politics we've had for the last 20 years. He genuinely seems to care, to want to make things better rather than simply promote himself, he's a human being rather than a privately-educated, stuffed suit. He also offers a genuine opposition to the Tories, rather than the diluted Tory-ism of Blair's Labour. I haven't seen anything from him which states that he backs unlimited immigration, what he's said is that the immigration debate has become "nasty" and that nobody seems to recognise the positive effects of immigration, a valid point given that we live on an island which has been shaped by waves of immigration, that we speak a mixture of German, French and Latin and that even our national dish is a toss-up between Indian and Thai! But even if he has said this it's of little consequence as his commitment is to allow representation from all elements of the Labour party rather than mindlessly pursuing his own agenda; what he offers is a) the opportunity for debate and b) the mechanism by which that debate can be aired.

Politics had become stale, the emergence of Corbyn has engaged a huge cross section of society, and not just the "old lefties" but young voters who were disheartened by their options. Not so long ago Russell Brand was urging people not to vote, now Corbyn has shown them that they really can make a difference. Obviously he's getting a good kicking by the Murdoch Press but I think people are now becoming all too aware of the self-interest that is behind those front pages.

This "new" Labour have yet to define their policies (though we know the direction) so I'll reserve judgement and ignore the wailings of the Daily Mail for the moment, however everything he has done so far, from dismissing a Sky journalist to holding a dignified silence during the national anthem, has impressed me because he's responded like a human being rather than a media-trained brat. I'm looking forward to PMQ's.

JohnnoLS8 and MrTempleDene like this.
  11. Stardust

Stardust Registered User

A relate a lot better to the likes of Corbyn than David Cameron. I voted Green in the past but if Corbyn has been in place I reckon I would have voted Labour.

Staypuff likes this.
  12. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    Would love to see Corbyn in charge, seriously though.

Just imagine the day he makes Tony Blair stand trial for war crimes. How good will that be?

And without jumping into countries and looking for terrorists that aren't there imagine how much time the armed forces would have to rescue cats from trees, help old women cross the road and build flood defences in the horrible winters.

13. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    or even better, rebuild Syria after the government is overthrown.

MrTempleDene likes this.
  14. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

We can but hope...
    But if we don't go jumping into countries like that, then we won't create a terrorist threat that wasn't there and we won't be able to sell armaments to both sides of the conflict...

15. jar ed

jar ed Member

The government in Syria wont be overthrown because the Russians and the Chinese wont allow it. They'll provide Assad with all the military hardware he needs. The rebels aren't even a cohesive force, nobody knows who speaks for or leads them, There have been reports that they have been infiltrated by groups of Al Qaeda and yet we go on arming them because we are completely brainwashed that Assad has to go. Assad never was a threat to the west. We just jumped in like we did in Libya because we thought that the so called Arab Spring would topple dictators and bring "freedom and democracy" to that part of the world but all that's happened is that Syria, Libya and even Iraq still are just a stinking mess.

The Russians have recently talked about forming a coalition to defeat ISIS and that on the basis of it seems like a sound idea. We wont be able to defeat ISIS on our own and we need to stop the shoving match with Russia. ISIS is the major threat to any future peace in that region and if it means that with the help of Russia we finally defeat ISIS and at the same time accepting that Assad remains in power that's the best solution to the whole bloody mess

16. jar ed

jar ed Member

I don't think the average voter today wants political extremists in power. These kind of politicians get nowhere nor achieve anything but waste and squander their time trying to get crackpot agendas passed against oppositions that shoot them down in flames. Corbyn with his immigration policies alone would be enough to scare most voters away

17. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Exactly so. This radical policy of talking people to find out what they want is going to cause no end of trouble. Rupert won't stand for it for a start.

18. jar ed

jar ed Member

That's what election campaigns are for already aren't they? To meet and greet the voters, get input. Some of Corbyns radical ideas are going to be at odds with the European Union for a start. What's Corbyn going to do? Leave the EU after he's done abolishing the monarchy?

19. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Blimey. What planet are you on?

20. jar ed

jar ed Member

In a nation with a population of around 67 million at all levels of social standing, education and political persuasion how in hell could you "talk to them" and reach a firm consensus of opinion?

The old saying "that you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time" still stands.

Vote for the party which represents your best interests and forget the rest of the bullshit

21. Staypuff

Staypuff Active Member

I know it was a throw-away comment but Corbyn's already said he has no intention of taking on the monarchy, he's stated that there are more important things to fight for. I know it's not important but there's no point distracting ourselves from the facts of the situation with the reactionary nonsense being plastered all over the press.