1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

£50 to park outside your own home?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MrTempleDene, Jun 19, 2013.

1. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

LCC are considering plans to charge residents who live in permit parking only areas £50/year for their permit, and an additional £50/year each for your visitors permits.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....ds-50-to-park-outside-your-own-home-1-5780031

Considering it's the council who sets up these sort of areas in the first place, seems to be a nice little money spinner for them.

Not something I like the sound of though, I used to live in such an area and there were times in my life when finding £50 would have been budget breaking!

My house, like most in the area had no off street parking either, so there would have been no getting round it.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Gordon Glazebrook

Gordon Glazebrook New Member

I was under the impression residents already paid for parking in their permit area. If not, why do they get privilege parking on a main road which is public highway?

We have, in Dewsbury, lots of roads with "Residents Only" marked - but not outside MY house!!

4. romanbob

romanbob New Member

It doesnt seem like a fair scheme, why should some have to pay £50 to park outside their own home, and others nothing?
    They could make "visitors permits" or a second permit £100; what happens if they have more than one car?

5. spanielsmum

spanielsmum New Member

I am steaming !!!!! This scheme was supposedly put in place for our benefit, owing to shoppers and computers parking in our streets for long periods. Why on earth should we be expected to pay £50 per permit??? Can everyone afford to pay it? What about the little old lady who needs a permit for her carer??
    We can't get parked outside our own house most of the time, even though we are both disabled. We are only issued with 1 visitor's pass, so even though I have 2 sons, they can't visit at same time, and we have to pay £10 for a replacement if it get's lost or damaged.

Why are we being targeted to pay this, when many others can park freely outside their own homes and outside mine for 30 minutes so they can shop at The Centre?

6. spanielsmum

spanielsmum New Member

Trouble is you need the visitor's permit for carers, workmen, etc. so why should we have to pay? Other people don't! There is no getting away from it. The traffic wardens are very unforgiving and will not bend an inch. My son was ticketed because he'd put the pass upside down for heaven's sake. He was juggling a toddler at the time.

You are allowed a pass for each vehicle registered to that address, providing you can show the log book. My son when he lived at home, wasn't allowed one for his company car and had to use our only visitor's pass.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  7. MrTempleDene

Resident parking schemes are not, in general, on the main road though, this is where I used to live, it's pretty much a dead end

http://goo.gl/maps/ed2Td

And the only reason we had resident only parking was because people started to park to go to the nearby shopping centre and clog up our streets when the centre car park started to charge.

Considering that only a handful of the houses had off street parking why on earth do you consider it a privilege for them to park outside their house? And it isn't free, your tax disc fee includes the right to park at the side of a public highway so this new scheme would make people pay twice!

8. spanielsmum

spanielsmum New Member

Well said!!! I've written to George Mudie about this, as well as the BBC. Hopefully more people will do so.

George Mudie, MP
    Leeds East Constituency

Former Presbytery
    Our Lady of Good Counsel
    Rosgill Drive
    Leeds LS14 6QY

Tel: 0113 2323266 Fax: 0113 2323853
    email: george.mudie.2nd@parliament.uk

9. romanbob

romanbob New Member

Have you got a disabled space marked outside your house? That would give you priority, that others cannot get.

10. spanielsmum

spanielsmum New Member

No. We have both got a blue badge but when I asked for a disabled parking space was told that we probably wouldn't be able to get in it anyway, due to us being so near to the shops, so we would be better off moving house!!!!

We have even tried parking on our front garden but we got boxed in all the time, so have put it back to garden.

11. Gordon Glazebrook

I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head - a tax disc (and paying Council Tax) does give you the right to park on a public highway - but not necessarily outside your house.
    My son used to have this problem and due to the amount of cars couldn't even park outside his house. On asking the council he was told anyone had the right to park there.

12. Gordon Glazebrook

I would try again for the disabled space - being advised to "move house" is not the answer and you should not accept it.

13. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

Having a residents permit doesn't reserve a place outside your house - just means you can park somewhere on the street

I used to live in a permit area and over the years received a couple of tickets, once the permit had expired and we hadn't realised and once when the permit had fallen off the windscreen. Both were cancelled on appeal.

If most of the residents around the Crossgates centre, for example, refuse to pay for permits and the parking scheme is dropped, the council will lose the revenue from parking fines, and a few traffice wardens (or whatever their title is now) will be out of a job too.

14. Gordon Glazebrook

Spot on Croggy!
    Pay for a permit or get fined by lazy Traffic Wardens. Either way it's another money making scam!
    :nod:

15. spanielsmum

spanielsmum New Member

On most Fridays and Saturday nights we can't even get back in our street to park, let alone outside the door. There are some residents with multiple vehicles as well as a couple of motor caravans. Unfortunately all taxed etc so entitled to park!!! Parking around here is a nightmare
    My OH said he would refuse to pay (although I have now discovered blue badge holders are exempt from the resident's disc charge) but it still isn't right or fair for others. Plus why should we then risk having to go to court for unpaid fines and pay solicitors.

16. romanbob

romanbob New Member

So you can park on double yellow lines, again you have an advantage that puts you ahead of the ordinary motorist.

17. MrTempleDene

I hardly consider being disabled as an advantage

18. spanielsmum

spanielsmum New Member

Only where it's allowed to do so and it makes no difference to me as we don't have double yellow lines outside my house.

Please don't assume that I am one of the selfish inconsiderate 'disabled' blue badge holders who block up the roads, because I am not.. Plus, I would gladly give up my disability and my blue badge if I could, so don't be so judgemental! Everyday living if a strain on me as it is. I could just do without more hassle thank you very much.

19. romanbob

romanbob New Member

Can you read?

20. romanbob

romanbob New Member

If the area where you live is so busy that you find parking so troublesome, perhaps you should be thinking about moving house?

£50 per year is hardly a big deal.

21. MrTempleDene

not today it seems :frown: