1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

£1 million Leeds gypsy site move closer

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Allen, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

And you can be sure the Traveller community will chip in with a few quid, as usual

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
  4. romanbob

romanbob New Member

Many people are anti-traveller (perhaps for good reason?), but a city the size of Leeds should have a travelers site. Perhaps they should have a site in north Leeds too?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
  5. MrTempleDene

MrTempleDene Just Me Staff Member

I'm afraid I've had to tidy this thread up a bit, please, no more derogatory terms, we don't want the forum getting in trouble.

6. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

That might upset some people

7. BAZI

BAZI Member

I think you mean lots of people

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  8. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Yes, north Leeds people would not be happy.

I used to live just over the fields from this site and we never had any problems.

9. Mr Horsforth

Mr Horsforth New Member

Never going to happen RB....

10. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

So that's £27,000 per pitch for refurbishment...
    And that's £89,000 per pitch to create them.

WTF are they spending it on?!
    Why not simply provide the travellers the space to create the site themselves?

11. Croggy

Croggy Cereal Forumer Staff Member

I assume some of that cost is providing permanent buildings?

Surely a 'permanent traveller site' is an oxymoron? During the Dale Farm eviction, some of the people there said in their defence that they had lived on the site for years, which kind of make me question the title of 'traveller'.

12. Hairyloon

Hairyloon Active Member

Not at all. A traveller could travel between any number of permanent sites.
    Yes, that has me puzzled as well.

13. Perhaps they should have built the New Police Station on Elland Road in the middle of it instead?

14. jackdaly

jackdaly Member

Dale Farm was Green Belt Land of which a corner was leased to a Gypsy Scrap Dealer The Familiesthat lived there later put up permanent structures, concreted over a large area and were all there illegally, never was it a designated Gypsy site.

15. superleeds

superleeds New Member

Been on the site several times and have always found the residents friendly. What I don't understand is the bill being paid for by the council. There are plenty of four wheel drives and commercial vehicles on the site and plenty of evidence that people are making a good living. What contribution are the residents making?

16. romanbob

romanbob New Member

We dont know the facts. Perhaps we should start visiting peoples homes that are getting long term benefits and see how much their cars are worth?
    They do have 4x4s on council estates too, but then again, not everyone in a council house does not work.

17. Mexico75

Mexico75 Active Member

It would be interesting to know if they have to pay council tax while living on these tax payer funded sites.

18. matthew2020

matthew2020 New Member

:hey::hey:

19. wobbley

wobbley Member

It's such a shame. I've been pondering over how to express my views about travellers without upsetting the moderators and having my post deleted. It really is a touchy subject and you have to be so careful to not be derogatory.
    It's no good... I will have to admit defeat !

20. Allen

Allen Heating Engineer

Great post lol.

The Moderators have a hard job and sometimes have to delete things.

21. wobbley

wobbley Member

Thanks, I'm sure those with psychic powers can read my mind !!!