1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

£1.3 million being invested to help reduce burglary levels in Leeds

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nicola, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Seamedsoles

Seamedsoles New Member

I think it's important to remember that 'Going to Prison' is also a deterrent, okay, not in the same way it used to be, but to an extent, it probably still is. Once you remove what little deterrent you have, you might as well open the flood gates wide.

To suggest that a person can damage another person property, invade their home, steal their property, possibly intimidate the occupants, even use violence on them, and then that they 'shouldn't' go to prison is , to me, completely ridiculous, but then again theres so many self righteous, opinionated , 'do gooders' in this country, nowt surprises me.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. closedaccount1

closedaccount1 New Member

Thing is, it's demonstrably not a deterrent.

The re-offending rate for those who have been to prison is higher than the re-offending rate of those who get a community punishment.

I say again, if what you want is purely punishment and cost is not an issue then prison is an excellent solution. It's also an excellent solution for people who pose a risk to the public.

If you want to reduce crime and/or cost is an issue then community punishment makes more sense, certainly where the offender is no physical risk to the public.

That might be counter-intuitive to the hang-em and flog-em brigade but it's born out by much criminology research.

Personally, I want to reduce crime as much as possible in the most efficient way. That means letting go of my desire for retribution, no matter how much it appeals to my base instincts.

4. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

5. wiseguy

wiseguy Registered User

Re: £1.3 million being invested to help reduce burglery levels in Leeds

im in the same city hal and the 3 yobs who did us got nothing mate they were walking round the area with their heads held high,it was us who moved as the kids were young i was on perm nights and she wouldnt settle
    ib agree with any monies spent to reduce crime

6. Seamedsoles

Seamedsoles New Member

Of course the threat of going to prison is a deterrent. Thats of course working on the criteria that a 'prison' is a place of punishment, and not an 'holiday camp'.

Community punishment is a great idea for criminals who have to some degree a modicum or respectibility, for example, the Bank Employee who had been creaming £500 here and there to finance his daughters wedding, many other examples then Community punishment is a great idea, however, theres not a chance in the world that low life drug riddled thugs would entertain it, not for a second.

The cost of implementing Community Punishment would be sky high, and thats just for those criminals who would willing and responsible enough to accept their punishment.

The cost of enforcing Community Punishment to those who have absolutely no intention of accepting their punishment would be unimaginable.

'Criminalology Research', hasn't done much for the girl who gets raped on the street, the pensioner who gets beaten to death, the parents who have to spend the rest of their lives in misery because their son was murdered, the families whose propertys are wrecked, the bloke who's car is stolen and set on fire.

Not everything comes down to whether its financial viable, it sometimes comes down to whats the 'right' or 'wrong' decision.

Of course everybody wants to see crime reduced, and I wouldn't be presumptuous enough to advise anybody how they should deal with crime when its directed at them.

7. wiseguy

wiseguy Registered User

bring back borstals or somthing get some ex army pi,s and run them wragged lol

8. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Well three cheers for criminology research and all the good that it is doing us. By the way, is crime on the up?:icon_smile:

How do you feel about cutting fingers from convicted theives? Would that be a deterant do you think?:icon_smile:

9. closedaccount1

Yes, as it does in all recessions.

Great idea. Effective and cheap. Trouble is, the people without fingers then find it hard to get work and might turn to crime. Maybe just dispense with the niceties and execute them straight off.

10. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Funny!, I seem to remember it going up during the boom as well, but if you say so (perhaps you could give us some of those stat's of yours).:icon_smile:

I think they would find it even harder to pick a lock, don't you?:icon_wink:

Now you're just being silly and losing credibility.

11. Seamedsoles

Seamedsoles New Member

Yeah, crime is on the increase, and far more so than 'statistics' would suggest.

What we used to call 'petty crime' is pretty much ignored nowadays, its all about manipulating figures and trying to fool the public that things aren't nearly as bad as people suspect they are.

Whats that old saying, 'Theres lies,then theres damn lies, and then theres statistics'.

12. halliclone

halliclone New Member

:nod: You're a smart cookie Seamedsoles, no one is going to pull the wool over your eyes.:icon_smile: Are you from Sheffield by the way?:icon_wink::icon_smile:

13. Seamedsoles

Seamedsoles New Member

Leeds Halli, east leeds.

14. closedaccount1

How many burglars have you heard of that pick locks?

Yes, advocating capital punishment for burglary is a bit silly, isn't it?

15. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Hmm:rolleyes:, let it go ollie'.:icon_smile:

16. closedaccount1

Yeah, the debate is a bit one sided.

17. Seamedsoles

Seamedsoles New Member

'How many burglars have you heard of that pick locks?'

Lots, theres a bit of a clue Ollie when companies like 'avocet' 'squire' 'ingersoll' 'yale' invest millions in designing locks and cylinders, handles, hinges, that can't be picked, drilled, bumped, snapped.

18. wiseguy

wiseguy Registered User

ive had my car locks drilled b4 but not picked

19. halliclone

halliclone New Member

They picked your locks to drill didn't they?