1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

£1.3 million being invested to help reduce burglary levels in Leeds

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nicola, Jun 20, 2011.

1. nicola

nicola New Member

Leeds City Council have advised that "more than £1.3m is due to be invested in Leeds to reduce the number of burglaries that take place in the city over the next four years".

Being a victim of burglary on several occasions it'll be interesting to see if they manage to achieve this reduction. In fact I've been burgled when I was asleep in bed and the offenders actually took something from the side of me whilst I was sleeping!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Retired

Retired New Member

Re: £1.3 million being invested to help reduce burglery levels in Leeds

Nicola sorry to read that.We also have been burgled,we were away on holiday.They smashed the wooden front door in .A few years back now.We spent nearly £1,000 on four gates over front and back doors ,garage door and a lockable gate into the back garden.What is needed lock them up for a long time.None of this community service lark.Take them off the streets.And none of this weekends at home.Its not a holiday they need its being taken away from society.But soory to say Politicians of all parties think like this.£20,000- £40,000 to keep someone in jail for a few years.Your video or telly or car £5,000- £9,000.We don't count.I hope you don't ever have to go through it again..

4. pk014b7161

pk014b7161 New Member

this is how i would do it you get burgled the cost of your goods replaced all damage put right +compensation for distress all totalled up and awarded to the victims by the courts and then the skanks would be made to work it off by hard labour we allways need ballest so get them breaking rocks at the going rate say £9.50 a ton till they have paid the bill off

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  5. halliclone

halliclone New Member

I am from Sheffield, that makes me one of the smarter posters on here so listen up. When someone commits a burglary in my town they get banged up, plain and simple!. Paying burglars £1.3m to stop them will not work, trust me on this one. They need to know that crime does not pay.:neutral:

6. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

They are not using the money to pay criminals H, it is to be used as below:

The Leeds Burglary Reduction Strategy aims to have a long term reduction on these figures and six key areas have been identified to have the maximum impact. These are:
    • Offender management and criminal justice
    • Reducing and disrupting the stolen goods market
    • Coordinated and targeted enforcement
    • Crime prevention and standards of security
    • The impact of burglary on vulnerable communities
    • Ensuring value for money in tackling burglary

http://newsfeed.leedsvirtualnewsroom.co.uk/2011/06/13m-investment-to-help-reduce-burglary.html

7. nevben

nevben New Member

Bet if will not reduce insurance costs for people in the areas that are part of this programme

8. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Hmm, all sounds a bit flowery to me. Forget all that tosh and take a leaf out of Sheffield's book. Bang the burglars up, get them of the streets. Do not reward them for breaking the law.

9. closedaccount1

closedaccount1 New Member

Does that work to actually reduce burglary though?

You lock someone up for 2 years for nicking a telly. In all likelyhood, they just get better at being a criminal in prison and possibly get addicted to drugs as well. Then they come out and start burgling again.

You've stopped them nicking some more tellys for that 2 years but it's cost upwards of 60 thousand pounds.

Alternative, spend a fraction of that on changing their behaviour outside prison and you might actually stop them burgling.

I'm all for stopping people nicking stuff. I just don't think prison is a good solution. If you just want punishment or they need to be kept away from the public for safety then it's fine but if you want to reduce the crime as well you have to change the criminals behaviour and that's not done by housing them with loads of other criminals.

10. closedaccount1

I should add that I've been burgled and my first reaction was "I hope they find them and lock them up" but thinking about it, that wouldn't have helped me, them or society as a whole.

11. halliclone

halliclone New Member

They need locking up for life then they will not be able to get their filthy thieving fingers on any decent persons property again. This will also serve as a deterant to any would be thieving scum. There is too much of this mamby pamby, do-gooder flowery crap around for my liking. Get a grip on your City leaders, they are chucking your money down the drain.

12. closedaccount1

Lets think about that for a minute. Say the average burglar is 20 when they get caught, they'd be put away for 50 years at £30000 a year. That's £1.5million in total at todays prices.

There were 31,400 convictions for theft or handling stolen goods for the quarter July to September 2010 (the latest for which figures are available).

You're suggesting we lock all of them up at a cost of £942 million quid a year. But wait, that's only one quarters figures. You'd actually end up spending £3.8 billion a year. Just for the burglars you caught that year. In 5 years time you'd be spending £18.8 billion a year.

Hope you're prepared for higher taxes.

13. Rick

Rick Member

Where does the "reward them for breaking the law" bit come from? :confused:

What phrases like "Coordinated and targeted enforcement", and "Reducing and disrupting the stolen goods market" translate as is good old "feeling collars".

When there is a burglary, the police will be straight round to the houses of known and suspected offenders. They will be visiting the shops and places where goods might be sold.

Burglars and fences soon realise that their lives have just got that much harder.

"Offender management" could mean using the probation service to get ex-offenders into employment. People in full time employment are less likely to be involved in casual burglary.

There are three points at which criminals usually turn away from crime. At the first offence, at the first prison sentence, or at the birth of the first child (or marriage). It must make sense to concentrate efforts at those points to increase the number who stop offending.

14. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Make this the first and last and you're on the right track, the rest is just waffle.

15. dervish99

dervish99 A Mod not a Rocker

Quite possibly the best argument put forward on this forum so far.:thumbs2:

16. kev-access

kev-access New Member

I know it sounds odd but the best way to combat burglary is down in a large part to people being more aware. Keeping doors locked, making sure windows have locks on and keeping all keys out of sight, just simple things people can do make a world of difference. If someone desperately wants to break into your house they'll smash a window, but if you've done everything you can to make sure your security is as strong as possible (the aforementioned window locks, extra deadlocks to external doors) then 9 times out of 10 the burglar will simply deem it not worth the hassle.

17. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Great use of Google ollie' but you seem to be suffering from tunnel vision.:icon_smile:

Could you extend your research and provide some figures for how much it costs to keep these scrotes out of prison per anum in terms of dole money, housing benefit, prescription methadone etc...... While you are at it could you include the cost of police time, court time, probation officer time, social worker time, increased home contents insurance, increased car fire and theft insurance etc,etc,etc........That my friend will make interesting reading (by this forum's standards ;)).:icon_smile:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  18. closedaccount1

Much less than locking them up for life.

Generally burglars grow out of it way before they die and keeping people out of prison is cheaper than keeping them in it.

Other people have already done the research and that's why no one with any sense thinks locking up burglars for life is sensible.

19. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Thats's very weak ollie, quite disappointing really, let's have some proof shall we.:icon_wink::icon_smile:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  20. grafter

grafter New Member

It wouldn`t cost that much in my prison
    Or as I have said before sell the judicial system abroad like everything else, maybe Saudi or Singapore.

I think you would see a big reduction

21. halliclone

halliclone New Member

Now that is the best argument so far dervish99! If a prison was a prison instead of a holiday camp for scum bags it would be much cheaper to lock thieves up than to pay for them to live on the outside. Great post grafter.:icon_smile: