The Mecca Ballroom Merrion Centre

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by janie48, Jan 19, 2012.

1. janie48

janie48 New Member

Does anyone remember the dances there in the late sixties?
    I had some good times there,but then moved on to other places.
    I can't recall when it closed down does anyone know?

2. bewerley

bewerley New Member

3. janie48

janie48 New Member

4. Derc

Derc New Member

Hi Janie, see also, page 3 'What's your earliest Leeds memory ?' Years after dancing there, I attended it, when it caught fire, it was a clothes shopping bazaar by then. I was working a jet of water on the sheet lead covered roof and remember seeing some of the Fire Brigade lads coming out at ground level covered in hot lead drippings. Can't remember the year, maybe late 70's
    Getting back to how it was, my brother's rock group played there and got told off by Sir Jim for tuning up while he was introducing them. His hair was blonde at the time, so that was before he went tartan.

5. janie48

janie48 New Member

I will have a look at the mentioned thread.
    Great to hear your reminiscences.
    Good old Jimmy Saville,what a great guy!

6. Geordie exile

Geordie exile New Member

The original post was about the Merrion Centre Mecca not the County Arcade one. It was upstairs next to the Bali Hai.

7. Derc

Derc New Member

My mistake, don't think I went to that one, I preferred Pete Stringfellows.

8. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Roy Orbison picked up a waitress in a Merrion Centre club, Le Phonograph, I think, who became his second wife.

9. harrygarner

harrygarner New Member

the best Mecca was in the County Arcade great atmosphere great girls and some good live groupsplus a few all nighters , the cafe there was done out in bamboo decor it had a peculiar smell which was unusual but ok
    The New Mecca as it was called in the Merrion Centre wasnt as good the crowd that went in there were a bit up themselves plus it was more expensive to get in ,

10. bewerley

bewerley New Member

You had to wear a tie, and jeans were a definite no no.
    It was a much older crowd but a massive and less intimate dance floor. The Bali Hi Club was upstairs.
    It was the first time I heard the expression ' Grab a Granny night'.
    I got to know the Manager Wilf Preen who was a very level headed non flamboyant type.

11. beestie

beestie New Member

I used to work in the Merrion Center with a firm of architects which seems to have vamished. I went to Stringfellows a few times but always think of the Mecca LOcarno ballroom in the County Arcade. I once went there when Chubby Checker was guest artist.

12. harrygarner

harrygarner New Member

Well commented asi said it had no atmosphere plus the idiotic dress code
    i remember Wilf Preen he barred me for not wearing a tie. he was a little hitler
    ironically hed previously managed the old Mecca where he didnt push a dress code consequently the place was always full unlike the new venue, i used to get freindly with the bouncers they tended to be a little more flexible with the rules , at one point a poster was placed in the foyer of the New Mecca drpicting a young guy wearing a suit and tie with the slogan "be smart the girls prefer it" i beleive it got trashed , ah well how far away those days seem now, at that time the moving pavement was still installed in the Merrion Center Entrance

13. beestie

beestie New Member

Yes I remember the moving pavement at the Merrion Center. It was always breaking down as it was designed for indoors not outdoors. Where it was positioned it was open to the elements.

14. springhay

springhay New Member

I remember all this !!!! Went to the county arcade mecca in my lunch hour!! How ridiculous is that? The'new mecca' never did work for me. All a bit older in suits -- it was the Motown era onwards. Also remember the Intime and Phonograph - not to mention the Noveau all a bit later on. Cinderellas Rockerfellas - who knew eh? Nowhre for us oldies to go at all now is there? What was that DJ called, Pete Brent? And gorgous Wilf at Stringellows. He used to be the DJ at the Intime before that. Wonder what happened to him? Not sure if Id like or not like to see them now. Hate to be reminded how old I am!!! Del Rio coffee bar?

15. nevben

nevben New Member

The Oxford Dictionary definition of a suit of clothes is " Jacket and Trousers manufactured of the same material " That is why they changed their tack to saying no jeans.

16. Lolelv

Lolelv New Member

I remember going weekly with my pals to the one in Merrion Centre which wasnt the Mecca Ballroom, but Tiffany's.. and the Bali Hai too... We also went across the road to Cinderella's then through to Rockafellas (Pete Stringfellow's place)... even saw the unbelievable TINA TURNER on stage in Cinders in erm 1971.. complete with her amazing big feathers which nearly filled the stage... Cinders and Rockafellas were THE places to be for sure.. tho Merrion's Tiffanys was a fabulous size dance floor... great memories..:icon_smile:

17. bewerley

bewerley New Member

Never realised Tina Turner appeared in Leeds.
    Rockerfellas had a restaurant. I was dining there one night when the girl at the next table burst into tears. Her date for the evening had gone to the loo half an hour earlier and it had just dawned on her that her date had done a runner.
    She had no money as the date had offered to pay hence the tears.
    However the management were marvellous and wrote off the bill without any hesitation. Great customer service.

18. Lolelv

Lolelv New Member

Oh yes i had forgotten about the restaurant there - probably because could never have afforded to eat there anyway.. my pals and i had all on just affording babysitters so we could escape for a few hours of good music and dancing... ahhh memories.. :icon_wink:

19. aej1

aej1 New Member

It shut in the 70s and turned into Cinderalla -Rockafella then after that shut down Another waste

20. YorkyRebel

YorkyRebel New Member

I Remember the Mecca in the Merrion Centre, but preffered the one in County Arcade, also used to go to the Central Dance Club opposite the Central Pub just off Duncan Street. Then there was the Majestic Ballroom at City Square, and Mark Altmans up near the Infirmary. Had great times in all of them. I started going to the Central in 1960 when I was 14, used to go on Saturday mornings, started going to the Mecca in 1961 when I left school and started work. Used to go most nights and every lunchtime. Went to Cinderellas a few times but not impressed. Great times though the mid 60s.:icon_lol: