1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Scran n'that

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by millario, Aug 22, 2014.

1. bongobenny

bongobenny Well-Known Member

was George IV actually ever open? I lived in Kirkstall in like 2006 and there was a tree growing out of the window even then.

Pubs closing really annoys me. I live in Harehills and there is no pubs now whatsoever. My nearest pub is The Fountain Head which is technically Lincoln Green and the other way The Roundhay which is Oakwood. Absolutely nothing. The Brown Hare is technically Harehills but it's so far the other side of HH that it's further for me to walk to than Oakwood, and it's also a truly shocking boozer beyond imagination. I've been in there twice and both times there was a massive fight

2. GregB

GregB Active Member

I think it's prety much the same type of crowd that ends up draining pubs of clientele that can keep it operating.

Adding to the list of closed boozers in the are were the Newlands, Little Park and Stoggies.

Sadly, old school boozers are a thing of the past. I miss pubs with a good pool table, dart board, pinball and no TVs.

3. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Yeah, I've never seen it open. There's the New George now, where the Mill Race organic restaurant used to be. Never been in, obviously, as if I'm anywhere near it I'd walk two minutes up the road to the Kirkstall Bridge.

And The Merry Monk, pretty recently. It'll be flats soon.

The Abbey Inn doesn't have pinball, but there's darts and pool and an unintrusive TV. Decent beer too, or was.

4. bongobenny

Is there any passable curry houses in Leeds city centre these days? I really miss being able to have a good curry.

5. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
  6. bongobenny

Cheers.

I haven't been to the Cardigan Arms since 2009

7. millario

millario Member

Favourite Bands:
    Mogwai and Seafood
  8. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    We went to Mod Pizza on Cardigan Fields yesterday. Didn't have any expectations so was pleasantly surprised with a decent thin crust. Choose your own toppings, there was a good range including non-dairy cheese, which means you can go along with a vegan. Which I did. Also they played Dinosaur Jr over the PA.

I will go again.

9. Cowl2

Cowl2 Active Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fugazi
    Had a very passable tartiflette at the Woods, which is the latest iteration of that pub by the side of the roundabout in fashionable Chapel A. The rest of the specials looked interesting (goulash! In this day and age!), the main menu pretty standard. Companions had nut roast/roast chicken w/ mash, kale and gravy which there were no complaints about.

10. bongobenny

Kale is such an underrated bit of greenery. I tried some of that non-dairy cheese recently as my wife's dad has gone vegan for health reasons. Awful. That coconut oil stuff? Tastes like something that you would wax your car with. Obviously if it's the only thing that you can eat though for diet reasons fair play.