1. Welcome! Here you can discuss news, events and everything going on in Leeds. Looking to sign up or log in? Click here!

Music creating/production software

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by runaways, Mar 22, 2017.

1. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    new thread alert

Can anyone recommend me some music cheap/free production software for beginners/lazy fuckers? To suit myself -Basically, I can't play an instrument or play any music, always been too lazy, but I reckon I could have a good go at writing. I understand the basics and that is it. I want to have a dabble at making some stuff in the same vein as tangerine dream, john carpenter, kraftwerk etc... just to see if it can be d0ne by an idiot such as myself.

Is there anything a bit better than garage band, but not as pricey as Reason etc.? Any suggestions appreciated! (bonus points if it's free or if there's an illegal but easy way to obtain it for free)

2. eggle

eggle Member

Favourite Bands:
    Fred The Oyster
    Audacity is pretty basic but does what it says on the tin and can be downloaded for free!!!

3. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    Ohh, thank you, I'll give it a download later!

4. Agent_W

Agent_W Active Member

There are some cheap hardware options too, e.g. pick up a cheap synth with rhythm presets. You can probably get an Alesis Micron or Akai Miniak for next to sod all these days. They've got loads of TD/Carpenter/Kraftwerk type rhythm presets, and sounds to go with them. You can play 'em out of the box, in about five minutes. Plug 'em into Audacity and you're laughing.

Once you get pissed off at the limitations of the presets you can start delving a bit deeper. They're kind of the same machine in different boxes (up to a point). I had loads of fun with mine.

There's loads and loads of free software stuff out there too. Follow Brian Eno on Twitter. He's forever tweeting stuff about free online synth emulators. You don't have to be a genius to route that into a recording application.

I like hardware; other people like software. Nobody's right or wrong. The great thing is that these days, you don't have to spend huge £££ to get started. You can have a dabble for not very much money (or free!) and you can figure out what you like best. Just have fun with it. Mess about and see what you like.

5. runaways

runaways Member

Favourite Bands:
    kyuss
    Thanks a lot! Aye I'll keep my eye out in the local second hand shops.

I managed to get a licence for Reason from a mate which I can use when he's not on it. Gonna have a play this weekend!