Leeds Forum
Join Now
Live or work in Leeds? We need your support! Please join (it's free) and post on the forums. Already joined? login here
Reply to Ched Evans rape case.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:56   #21
Hairyloon

Total Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenhills View Post
I heard two old guys talking, and they were saying that one man was found guilty and one innocent.
Nobody is ever found innocent: they are found not guilty, which is not the same.
It is a bit of a puzzle why one is guilty and the other not. Probably just not proof beyond reasonable doubt.

Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 03-05-2012, 11:04   #22
closedaccount1

Total Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyloon View Post
Nobody is ever found innocent: they are found not guilty, which is not the same.
It is a bit of a puzzle why one is guilty and the other not. Probably just not proof beyond reasonable doubt.
As I understand it, the one found not guilty had been with the girl most of the night, took her back to his hotel room and had sex with her. The jury decided this was consensual sex (or at least there wasn't enough evidence to find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt).

The one who was found guilty, hadn't previously met the girl, was invited into the hotel room later when the girl was unconscious and had sex with her. The jury decided this was not consensual sex and found him guilty.

Personally I'd go with the decision of twelve people who heard all the evidence over hearsay and press reports.

Want to reply to this post? Join here
Sponsored Links - Register and/or Login to hide this ad.
Old 03-05-2012, 16:31   #23
Hairyloon

Total Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieclark View Post
As I understand it, the one found not guilty had been with the girl most of the night, took her back to his hotel room and had sex with her. The jury decided this was consensual sex (or at least there wasn't enough evidence to find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt).
That was what I had guessed at.