Leeds Forum
Join Now
Live or work in Leeds? We need your support! Please join (it's free) and post on the forums. Already joined? login here
Reply to The Mecca Ballroom Merrion Centre

Old 19-01-2012, 00:36   #1
janie48

Total Posts: 28
Does anyone remember the dances there in the late sixties?
I had some good times there,but then moved on to other places.
I can't recall when it closed down does anyone know?

Share this topic via:
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 19-01-2012, 08:31   #2
bewerley

Total Posts: 1,402
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?r...5&DISPLAY=FULL

I still have my La Discotheque card.

Sponsored Links - Register and/or Login to hide this ad.
Old 19-01-2012, 09:28   #3
janie48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewerley View Post
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?r...5&DISPLAY=FULL

I still have my La Discotheque card.
Thanks for this.I will be indulging myself in a spell of nostalgia later,when i read through all the commments.

Old 19-01-2012, 10:05   #4
Derc

Total Posts: 2,481
Hi Janie, see also, page 3 'What's your earliest Leeds memory ?' Years after dancing there, I attended it, when it caught fire, it was a clothes shopping bazaar by then. I was working a jet of water on the sheet lead covered roof and remember seeing some of the Fire Brigade lads coming out at ground level covered in hot lead drippings. Can't remember the year, maybe late 70's
Getting back to how it was, my brother's rock group played there and got told off by Sir Jim for tuning up while he was introducing them. His hair was blonde at the time, so that was before he went tartan.

Old 19-01-2012, 16:22   #5
janie48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derc View Post
Hi Janie, see also, page 3 'What's your earliest Leeds memory ?' Years after dancing there, I attended it, when it caught fire, it was a clothes shopping bazaar by then. I was working a jet of water on the sheet lead covered roof and remember seeing some of the Fire Brigade lads coming out at ground level covered in hot lead drippings. Can't remember the year, maybe late 70's
Getting back to how it was, my brother's rock group played there and got told off by Sir Jim for tuning up while he was introducing them. His hair was blonde at the time, so that was before he went tartan.
I will have a look at the mentioned thread.
Great to hear your reminiscences.
Good old Jimmy Saville,what a great guy!

Old 19-01-2012, 18:03   #6
Geordie exile

Total Posts: 193
The original post was about the Merrion Centre Mecca not the County Arcade one. It was upstairs next to the Bali Hai.

Old 19-01-2012, 19:02   #7
Derc

Total Posts: 2,481
My mistake, don't think I went to that one, I preferred Pete Stringfellows.

Old 19-01-2012, 19:19   #8
bewerley

Roy Orbison picked up a waitress in a Merrion Centre club, Le Phonograph, I think, who became his second wife.

Old 20-01-2012, 17:49   #9
harrygarner

Total Posts: 137
the best Mecca was in the County Arcade great atmosphere great girls and some good live groupsplus a few all nighters , the cafe there was done out in bamboo decor it had a peculiar smell which was unusual but ok
The New Mecca as it was called in the Merrion Centre wasnt as good the crowd that went in there were a bit up themselves plus it was more expensive to get in ,

Old 20-01-2012, 19:34   #10
bewerley

You had to wear a tie, and jeans were a definite no no.
It was a much older crowd but a massive and less intimate dance floor. The Bali Hi Club was upstairs.
It was the first time I heard the expression ' Grab a Granny night'.
I got to know the Manager Wilf Preen who was a very level headed non flamboyant type.

Old 20-01-2012, 21:19   #11
beestie

Total Posts: 17
I used to work in the Merrion Center with a firm of architects which seems to have vamished. I went to Stringfellows a few times but always think of the Mecca LOcarno ballroom in the County Arcade. I once went there when Chubby Checker was guest artist.

Old 21-01-2012, 10:46   #12
harrygarner

Total Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewerley View Post
You had to wear a tie, and jeans were a definite no no.
It was a much older crowd but a massive and less intimate dance floor. The Bali Hi Club was upstairs.
It was the first time I heard the expression ' Grab a Granny night'.
I got to know the Manager Wilf Preen who was a very level headed non flamboyant type.
Well commented asi said it had no atmosphere plus the idiotic dress code
i remember Wilf Preen he barred me for not wearing a tie. he was a little hitler
ironically hed previously managed the old Mecca where he didnt push a dress code consequently the place was always full unlike the new venue, i used to get freindly with the bouncers they tended to be a little more flexible with the rules , at one point a poster was placed in the foyer of the New Mecca drpicting a young guy wearing a suit and tie with the slogan "be smart the girls prefer it" i beleive it got trashed , ah well how far away those days seem now, at that time the moving pavement was still installed in the Merrion Center Entrance