Leeds Forum
Join Now
Live or work in Leeds? We need your support! Please join (it's free) and post on the forums. Already joined? login here
Reply to The Mecca Ballroom Merrion Centre
 
Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2012, 00:36   #1
janie48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Total Posts: 28
Does anyone remember the dances there in the late sixties?
I had some good times there,but then moved on to other places.
I can't recall when it closed down does anyone know?
 
Share this topic via:
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 19-01-2012, 08:31   #2
bewerley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Total Posts: 1,402
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?r...5&DISPLAY=FULL

I still have my La Discotheque card.
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Sponsored Links - Register and/or Login to hide this ad.
Old 19-01-2012, 09:28   #3
janie48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Total Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewerley View Post
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?r...5&DISPLAY=FULL

I still have my La Discotheque card.
Thanks for this.I will be indulging myself in a spell of nostalgia later,when i read through all the commments.
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 19-01-2012, 10:05   #4
Derc
Registered User
 
Derc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Total Posts: 2,481
Hi Janie, see also, page 3 'What's your earliest Leeds memory ?' Years after dancing there, I attended it, when it caught fire, it was a clothes shopping bazaar by then. I was working a jet of water on the sheet lead covered roof and remember seeing some of the Fire Brigade lads coming out at ground level covered in hot lead drippings. Can't remember the year, maybe late 70's
Getting back to how it was, my brother's rock group played there and got told off by Sir Jim for tuning up while he was introducing them. His hair was blonde at the time, so that was before he went tartan.
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 19-01-2012, 16:22   #5
janie48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Total Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derc View Post
Hi Janie, see also, page 3 'What's your earliest Leeds memory ?' Years after dancing there, I attended it, when it caught fire, it was a clothes shopping bazaar by then. I was working a jet of water on the sheet lead covered roof and remember seeing some of the Fire Brigade lads coming out at ground level covered in hot lead drippings. Can't remember the year, maybe late 70's
Getting back to how it was, my brother's rock group played there and got told off by Sir Jim for tuning up while he was introducing them. His hair was blonde at the time, so that was before he went tartan.
I will have a look at the mentioned thread.
Great to hear your reminiscences.
Good old Jimmy Saville,what a great guy!
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 19-01-2012, 18:03   #6
Geordie exile
Registered User
 
Geordie exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Total Posts: 193
The original post was about the Merrion Centre Mecca not the County Arcade one. It was upstairs next to the Bali Hai.
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 19-01-2012, 19:02   #7
Derc
Registered User
 
Derc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Total Posts: 2,481
My mistake, don't think I went to that one, I preferred Pete Stringfellows.
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 19-01-2012, 19:19   #8
bewerley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Total Posts: 1,402
Roy Orbison picked up a waitress in a Merrion Centre club, Le Phonograph, I think, who became his second wife.
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 20-01-2012, 17:49   #9
harrygarner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Total Posts: 137
the best Mecca was in the County Arcade great atmosphere great girls and some good live groupsplus a few all nighters , the cafe there was done out in bamboo decor it had a peculiar smell which was unusual but ok
The New Mecca as it was called in the Merrion Centre wasnt as good the crowd that went in there were a bit up themselves plus it was more expensive to get in ,
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 20-01-2012, 19:34   #10
bewerley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Total Posts: 1,402
You had to wear a tie, and jeans were a definite no no.
It was a much older crowd but a massive and less intimate dance floor. The Bali Hi Club was upstairs.
It was the first time I heard the expression ' Grab a Granny night'.
I got to know the Manager Wilf Preen who was a very level headed non flamboyant type.
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 20-01-2012, 21:19   #11
beestie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Beeston
Total Posts: 17
I used to work in the Merrion Center with a firm of architects which seems to have vamished. I went to Stringfellows a few times but always think of the Mecca LOcarno ballroom in the County Arcade. I once went there when Chubby Checker was guest artist.
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 21-01-2012, 10:46   #12
harrygarner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Total Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewerley View Post
You had to wear a tie, and jeans were a definite no no.
It was a much older crowd but a massive and less intimate dance floor. The Bali Hi Club was upstairs.
It was the first time I heard the expression ' Grab a Granny night'.
I got to know the Manager Wilf Preen who was a very level headed non flamboyant type.
Well commented asi said it had no atmosphere plus the idiotic dress code
i remember Wilf Preen he barred me for not wearing a tie. he was a little hitler
ironically hed previously managed the old Mecca where he didnt push a dress code consequently the place was always full unlike the new venue, i used to get freindly with the bouncers they tended to be a little more flexible with the rules , at one point a poster was placed in the foyer of the New Mecca drpicting a young guy wearing a suit and tie with the slogan "be smart the girls prefer it" i beleive it got trashed , ah well how far away those days seem now, at that time the moving pavement was still installed in the Merrion Center Entrance
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 21-01-2012, 11:48   #13
beestie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Beeston
Total Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrygarner View Post
Well commented asi said it had no atmosphere plus the idiotic dress code
i remember Wilf Preen he barred me for not wearing a tie. he was a little hitler
ironically hed previously managed the old Mecca where he didnt push a dress code consequently the place was always full unlike the new venue, i used to get freindly with the bouncers they tended to be a little more flexible with the rules , at one point a poster was placed in the foyer of the New Mecca drpicting a young guy wearing a suit and tie with the slogan "be smart the girls prefer it" i beleive it got trashed , ah well how far away those days seem now, at that time the moving pavement was still installed in the Merrion Center Entrance
Yes I remember the moving pavement at the Merrion Center. It was always breaking down as it was designed for indoors not outdoors. Where it was positioned it was open to the elements.
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 12-02-2012, 22:19   #14
springhay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Total Posts: 27
I remember all this !!!! Went to the county arcade mecca in my lunch hour!! How ridiculous is that? The'new mecca' never did work for me. All a bit older in suits -- it was the Motown era onwards. Also remember the Intime and Phonograph - not to mention the Noveau all a bit later on. Cinderellas Rockerfellas - who knew eh? Nowhre for us oldies to go at all now is there? What was that DJ called, Pete Brent? And gorgous Wilf at Stringellows. He used to be the DJ at the Intime before that. Wonder what happened to him? Not sure if Id like or not like to see them now. Hate to be reminded how old I am!!! Del Rio coffee bar?
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 13-02-2012, 01:45   #15
nevben
Registered User
 
nevben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beeston
Total Posts: 704
Send a message via MSN to nevben Send a message via Yahoo to nevben
The Oxford Dictionary definition of a suit of clothes is " Jacket and Trousers manufactured of the same material " That is why they changed their tack to saying no jeans.
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 06-03-2012, 22:48   #16
Lolelv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Leeds 16
Total Posts: 9
I remember going weekly with my pals to the one in Merrion Centre which wasnt the Mecca Ballroom, but Tiffany's.. and the Bali Hai too... We also went across the road to Cinderella's then through to Rockafellas (Pete Stringfellow's place)... even saw the unbelievable TINA TURNER on stage in Cinders in erm 1971.. complete with her amazing big feathers which nearly filled the stage... Cinders and Rockafellas were THE places to be for sure.. tho Merrion's Tiffanys was a fabulous size dance floor... great memories..
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 07-03-2012, 08:23   #17
bewerley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Total Posts: 1,402
Never realised Tina Turner appeared in Leeds.
Rockerfellas had a restaurant. I was dining there one night when the girl at the next table burst into tears. Her date for the evening had gone to the loo half an hour earlier and it had just dawned on her that her date had done a runner.
She had no money as the date had offered to pay hence the tears.
However the management were marvellous and wrote off the bill without any hesitation. Great customer service.
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 07-03-2012, 15:31   #18
Lolelv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Leeds 16
Total Posts: 9
Oh yes i had forgotten about the restaurant there - probably because could never have afforded to eat there anyway.. my pals and i had all on just affording babysitters so we could escape for a few hours of good music and dancing... ahhh memories..
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Old 01-04-2012, 21:23   #19
aej1
Registered User
 
aej1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Total Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by janie48 View Post
Does anyone remember the dances there in the late sixties?
I had some good times there,but then moved on to other places.
I can't recall when it closed down does anyone know?
It shut in the 70s and turned into Cinderalla -Rockafella then after that shut down Another waste
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Sponsored Links - Register and/or Login to hide this ad.
Old 21-04-2012, 17:34   #20
YorkyRebel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Total Posts: 6
I Remember the Mecca in the Merrion Centre, but preffered the one in County Arcade, also used to go to the Central Dance Club opposite the Central Pub just off Duncan Street. Then there was the Majestic Ballroom at City Square, and Mark Altmans up near the Infirmary. Had great times in all of them. I started going to the Central in 1960 when I was 14, used to go on Saturday mornings, started going to the Mecca in 1961 when I left school and started work. Used to go most nights and every lunchtime. Went to Cinderellas a few times but not impressed. Great times though the mid 60s.
 
Want to reply to this post? Join here
Reply

Thread Tools



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:26.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.


vBulletin Software ©2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2013 LeedsForum.co.uk - Leeds Chat Forum